Latest obsession

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
My husband doesn't have a diagnosis as you will see from my other threads but he keeps coming up with new obsessions. His latest is men with beards! Every day when anyone comes on TV with a beard he comments on how dreadful he looks and how he would look so much better clean shaven. Today it was the models in a shirt catalogue that came through the post and then the snooker players. He is adamant that it's just because they're too lazy to shave. I suggested that maybe they like having a beard but I was being ridiculous , how could anyone like having all that on their face! They're just lazy and can't be bothered to shave in the morning. I didn't point out that my brother in law who he gets on well with has had a beard for many years! Wonder what the next one will be?!

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
How strange.,. I wonder if it’s a theme. My husband (diagnosed with FTD) had an obsession 3-4 years ago, whereby he would see someone with a beard and state (generally very loudly) how silly they looked and how stupid it was. This also translated to TV and to pictures of people with beards.

An obsession with the weather then followed. What the weather was doing and obsessional checking of the bbc weather App, to then look outside and state that it was supposed to be raining and why wasn’t it in a very annoyed tone. This despite complaining bitterly every time it did rain.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
That's interesting. I know he won't be looking on the weather app because he doesn't use technology, can just about manage a basic mobile phone!
There are two other things I hear every day. One is when he does the word puzzle in the paper where you have to make words from a nine letter word. They give the number possible and he always says it's ridiculous because nobody could get that many. I've tried pointing out that it really doesn't matter you just do what you can but he carries on. The other is constantly want it to know if the new by rid car we bought is driving on petrol or electric at any given moment! Strange.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
My mum's obsessions is delaring, while I am driving her 'around the countryside' (which she requires numerous times a day to help her 'relax'), is 'why are all these people driving around?' It drives me mad!
Her other fixation is on how fat people are when she is the biggest she has ever been! Dementia is bloody horrible!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Flipping pot plants, dad likes to look after them by pruning out anything that is higher than the rest of the plant, Any new leaf or flower that dares grow a bit higher than the others is immediately cut off. Hence they are getting smaller and smaller day by day and he keeps moving them so the one in the window today had sprung 3 new flowers overnight. I didn't like to tell him that he had swapped it with the one in the hall earlier and that one was now very small.

They are all swimming with water, filled to the brim and topped up every day, I am surprised we have not got fish in the pots, I have given up tipping water out occasionally because they will only get topped up again.

Oh and when we go out anywhere all the trees are too tall. 'Look at that tree it's far to tall, they should cut it down' It gets very wearing.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Flipping pot plants, dad likes to look after them by pruning out anything that is higher than the rest of the plant, Any new leaf or flower that dares grow a bit higher than the others is immediately cut off. Hence they are getting smaller and smaller day by day and he keeps moving them so the one in the window today had sprung 3 new flowers overnight. I didn't like to tell him that he had swapped it with the one in the hall earlier and that one was now very small.

They are all swimming with water, filled to the brim and topped up every day, I am surprised we have not got fish in the pots, I have given up tipping water out occasionally because they will only get topped up again.

Oh and when we go out anywhere all the trees are too tall. 'Look at that tree it's far to tall, they should cut it down' It gets very wearing.

Oh how frustrating! Isn't it weird that they have these fixations, so sad x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The plant/tree fixation made me laugh. In the early days when we still did longish walks John was obsessed with trees which were not straight. He wanted only tall straight trees and the rest should be cut down. As we live near woods which have all kinds of trees and shapes you can imagine how wearing our conversations got. Then suddenly the tree fixation stopped and another took its place. I started to count the variety of fixations over the last six years and gave up as there were so many.

The only one which has never changed is the tissue fixation.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, weve had the constantly changing fixations here too.
On one occasion OH heard on the TV that you should take a 10 min brisk walk every day to keep fit. After this he insisted on keep going out with his rollator and pushing it as fast as he could. He ended up careering along the pavements, nearly knocking down pedestrians or turning the rollator over as he slewed round corners, with me coming up the rear shouting at him to be careful.........
Boy was I glad when that obsession stopped.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, weve had the constantly changing fixations here too.
On one occasion OH heard on the TV that you should take a 10 min brisk walk every day to keep fit. After this he insisted on keep going out with his rollator and pushing it as fast as he could. He ended up careering along the pavements, nearly knocking down pedestrians or turning the rollator over as he slewed round corners, with me coming up the rear shouting at him to be careful.........
Boy was I glad when that obsession stopped.
Well, we had the flushing the loo fixation, about 100 times an hour, and I wish I was joking. Then the front door lock fixation (broke it eventually, locked me out several times, I had to have window adapted so I could climb through), then the let's play with the gas control fixation (broke it), then the electic automatic starter fixation (broke it), etc etc etc ... times I came home from even few minutes away to find something else destroyed ... oh and we also had the fixation with filling up the washing machine with food from the fridge - bet none of your guys can beat that!!
Gx

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
I can't beat the washing machine larder but we did lose some fish fillets one day. No sign of them anywhere and I even looked in the shed and mum hadn't been out there in three years. I found them of course as they started to smell. Someone had 'posted' them down the back of the washing machine... I did venture to ask but clearly it wasn't her and anyway she was putting them back because they were too small to be sold and the fishermen needed to be spoken to about bringing in an illegal catch. xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086