Latest News?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The study found a nearly seven-year difference in survival between the youngest and oldest dementia patients -- 10.7 years for those aged 65 to 69 and 3.8 years for those aged 90 and older.

I would have thought this was self-evident. The average life-expectancy for someone in their 90s is going to be much shorter, whether of not they have dementia!

The average survival time after dementia diagnosis was 4.6 years for women and 4.1 years for men.

The usual quote for average survival post-diagnosis in the UK is 10 years, though as we know it can be much longer, or much shorter.

Doesn't sound right to me, certainly not according to TP members.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Life expectancy ....

I read that the other day. Don't you think it's too diverse a subject to take anything like that too seriously? Especially to give an average life expectancy from date of diagnosis-surely everyone who is diagnosed is diagnosed at different points in the illness? So impossible to generalise...

At least they acknowledge other underlying medical conditions etc...but I take it with a big pinch of salt!! And ask the question "does it have any value for the future?"

I don't really see the need for this sort of research-maybe someone can persuade me otherwise...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I agree Hazel and Gigi.

I thought it was a Quack report untl I read it was in he BMJ. I wonder how much it cost to complete the research. The price of a few thousand Aricept, perhaps.

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
gigi said:
I don't really see the need for this sort of research-maybe someone can persuade me otherwise...

well of course there is a need:

- the researchers need funds to do research, and they need topics to spend their time on. They have a need.

- the web sites that sell medications and services need the surveys to get people visiting their sites and hopefully buying something. They have a need.

- newspapers need to fill column inches. They have a need.

For me, the problem with the report as surfaced by Sylvia is that it is picking bits from the report, which may actually make some sense, if read in full.

I'd be asking about the age distributions of the respondents to the survey, the distribution regionally around England and Wales, the time after first symptoms that diagnosis was made, the care services that were offered - and taken, the availability and use of medications to help the patients, and so on.

I'd want to know how many of those with dementia dies from dementia and its effect on the body, and how many might have died from separate fatal things [cancer,etc].

Also, many people who are diagnosed with dementia at or after 65 have had dementia symptoms for a good few years before.

I always look at these things in the light of my own experience, which admittedly is not common [the doctor has already said we have gone beyond the bounds of her knowledge and experience in the time Jan has had dementia].

The best we can do is read, note, and then move on.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
well of course there is a need:

Yes Bruce-a need for people to get money to do what they do,sell what they sell.

I admit I haven't read the full report-I don't intend to unless I have an unbroken amount of time in which to do it!(Doubtful)

Therefore maybe I shouldn't be commenting on something I haven't read fully...maybe need was the wrong word......can I substitute it for "value"...and value for who..

As you say..read..note..move on..

Love Gigi xx