Latest from SkyNews re care home visiting restrictions

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
From my discussions with the manager and staff at my wife's care home I am certain that they would welcome a situation that would allow families and carers to visit. But finding a way to do this safely and effectively is a major issue to be solved. I do not think that the home has any interest in preventing visits. It is unfortunate if other care homes seem to have a different, less helpful approach.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I think most homes would allow visits if it was safe to do so. Unfortunately @northumbrian_k there will always be some element of risk whilst the threat of covid is here . It's very easy for care homes to say they're just following guidance from PHD and Government. Care home staff and managers are aware of what the lack of meaningful contact is doing to their residents and family. They should be adding their voice to that of campaign members to heap more pressure on the Government. Are they doing this? I don't think so. Why aren't they doing this? They know residents mental health is deteriorating, but don't seem to think they need to voice this too.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have just had another video call with a member of staff and my wife. She looked well and seemed happy enough but did not really engage with me.. Somehow I don't seem real on screen although people on television do. When I spoke to the deputy manager on Friday she mentioned that the home has bought some demountable Perspex screens - there is not enough space for a permanent set up - to allow for socially distanced visiting. It is hoped that these will be trialled in the next week or so. How well that might work with a wanderer like my wife remains to be seen but I might get more of a response if I am present rather than via video.

Zara09

Feb 8, 2019
So having not seen mum since March, not even a window visit, today I’ve had a call to say I can visit next week. I have to ring Friday and book a 15 visit. I can’t wait xx

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
So having not seen mum since March, not even a window visit, today I’ve had a call to say I can visit next week. I have to ring Friday and book a 15 visit. I can’t wait xx

I hope it goes well too. Do you know what sort of visit it will be? It is interesting to see how various care homes are dealing with the restrictions. I saw my mum for the first time since March this week for an accompanied walk. It's a small care-home so the best they can do (the garden visits didn't work for the residents and had to be abandoned). A carer pushed mum's wheelchair, both carer and me in mask and gloves, me a metre away. Mum, amazingly, really enjoyed it which is all that matters, and didn't appear to mind too much that her nose was turning blue by the end of the walk. She said "I've never been out before"