Later stages of Alzheimer's and headaches

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Hello everyone. It has been quite a long time since I have posted. It seems very selfish that I am only posting now because I have a problem that I would like help with. But I have been reading the threads and you have all been in my thoughts.

My dad is in the later stages of Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. I see him most mornings and on a good day he still recognises me which is wonderful and I make the most of those days. He still tries to communicate but what he says does not make any sense. He still eats well and can still walk about. However, for a few weeks now he has become very vocal and very worryingly he rubs the left side of his head over and over again making us think he is in a lot of pain. The nurse in charge at his home has phoned me and is quite worried as he is on quite a strong pain patch and she thinks that the doctor will want to up his pain medication even more. She has even spoken to us about signing a 'do not resuscitate' form. I get the impression that she is saying that if he is given more pain medication this is not a good sign.

Has anyone else out there been through this? Are headaches a sign that his Alzheimer's has taken a turn for the worse?

Any advice would be most welcome, and thank you in advance. What a horrible, horrible illness this is!

Best wishes to you all
Rosie Webros

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Rosie sorry I know nothing about the headache question but hope the doctor or nurse will investigate and explain what they think it might be. So glad you are still having some good days with your dad.

Please don't panic about the DNR. It is good practice for the home to have a record of your/your father's wishes so that staff know what should be done in an emergency. If you do a bit of searching you will find some really helpful posts on this issue.

Hope your dad is ok.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan