Later stages advice

Saffrosie

Apr 9, 2020
My mum has Alzheimer's and my Dad is caring for her alone now. She is now only getting up for about 4 hours a day eats very little and is very confused and agitated when awake. What does this mean for where she is in the process?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Saffrosie and welcome to DTP.

Your mum is obviously in the advanced stage of dementia, but you knew that already. Are you asking how long she has got now? Im afraid that no-one knows the answer to "how long" questions. It might not happen for a year or more, or it could happen in the next few weeks - it is, unfortunately, impossible to tell.

I always think that our lives would be so much easier if only we were issued with a working crystal ball at diagnosis! :rolleyes:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello and welcome

You don't mention what your mum has been like up to now, or how long she has had symptoms of Alzheimer's. Has she been progressively heading this way for a while or has there has been a sudden change? I am just wondering if there are any other issues to take into account.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Saffrosie, a warm welcome to the forum. I was wondering whether the GP has seen your Mum in recent times and whether Mum is on any medication?

How is do you think Dad is managing - do you think he may need carers to assist him?

PaulaS

May 18, 2016
My mum has Alzheimer's and my Dad is caring for her alone now. She is now only getting up for about 4 hours a day eats very little and is very confused and agitated when awake. What does this mean for where she is in the process?
Hello. My first post and this is exactly the change that has happened to my Dad over the last week. His wife if sole carer and is struggling. She has just told me she can’t cope for much longer she’s had enough and he’s bringing her health down. We feel so helpless and can’t go to him. We are FaceTiming every day and the last 2 days have had to coax him to get up. He’s barely eating or drinking. Feeling dreadful and scared for them both.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @PaulaS
personally, I suggest you contact your parents' GP and let them know exactly how things are with your dad and make it clear that your mum is at carer breakdown so you are very worried for the health and welfare of both of them ... the GP may not be able to discuss their situation with you but has to note on their files any info given by family

you can also contact their Local Authority Adult Services, explain their situation and say you consider them to both be vulnerable adults ... there should be an emergency contact number on the LA website .... if you phone, follow up any conversations with an email so there is a 'paper trail'

you might also have a talk with one of the advisors on the Dementia Connect support line
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/dementia-connect-support-line