Late stage Alzheimer's, latest development

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
My mum is in late stages of Alzheimer's, and has been for at least 2 years. Despite numerous chest infections, fluid on lungs, etc, she bounces back every time.

The latest issue is loss of circulation to one foot, which was severely discoloured (dark purple), but has improved slightly with regular foot massages.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Or is it likely to be totally unconnected?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
How weird, just a couple of hours ago I was looking at someone with exactly the same thing but on both feet and lower legs. She's been like that for sometime now, several weeks, but I noticed it's getting worse each time I see her.
As a former nurse I know the condition, It's called "cyanosis" if you want to look it up.
I've never noticed any of the other residents past or present with anything like it, so I don't think it's AZ related, it's a medical/ blood related issue.
K

Flooz

Sep 8, 2009
UK
Thanks for your answer Kevini. I shall have a more in depth read.

I did wonder if it may be Alzheimer's related, because mum is so advanced, the only stage she hasn't reached is organ failure. I did read somewhere, a while ago, that in the final stages, the circulation concentrates on keeping the major organs functioning (or something like that), hence the cold hands and feet, which made me wonder.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My OH has purplish discolouration on both legs but the right is worse. He has had bad varicose veins for years and coupled with series heart disease and the discolouration comes from that.