Lasting Power of Attorney

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Hi

We am in the process of doing two LPAs for ourmom. Unfortunately, our GP wasn't happy about being the Certificate Provider as he had never done this before but happy to be the witness. He has been our GP for about 20 years.

As my mom's no longer has any friends who have known her for at least two years now, does anyone know what is the position is if you do not have anyone who can be a certificate provider because of the two year period required.

Also, if you do not put anyone down to be notified of the LPA, do you need two certificate providers.

Thanks for you help

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Do a search for an "independent mental capacity advocates" there should be one in your area, prices vary.
There is only one box for the certificate provider's name, address etc and I can't see any reference to you needing two anywhere on the form, am I missing something?
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I do t think it has to be a professional. I think a friend or neighbour can do it. Someone who has also done these POA will tell you more. I used a solicitor but you do t have to.

I believe they just have to say she understands in the moment what she is agreeing to.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There are two types of certificate provider

Knowledge based
Known the donor for at least 2 years as more than a casual acquaintance.
You have said there is nobody in this situation.

Skills based
This includes people with medical or legal qualifications.
The decision is based on a one off assessment, they do not need to have known the person for two years.

"Also, if you do not put anyone down to be notified of the LPA, do you need two certificate providers."

You have only ever need one certificate provider, however in the past if you did not have two certificate providers you had to have at least one 'person to be told'. Currently there is no requirement to have any persons to be told.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
My Mums neighbour did it for us. Mum chose not to notify anybody else in the family. Her words were "just you do it. You do all my business."