Lasting Power Of Attorney signature run-a-round

Dion

May 25, 2016
Hi all,

I downloaded both medical and financial LPOA from the gov website and had the first parts signed by both my mother in law (diagnosed Dec 15) and a witness. I then wanted her doctor to sign the Certificate part of each LPOA. This is where it gets very frustrating.

Neither her doctor or the consultant, who confirmed her diagnosis, would sign the forms. We then approached a solicitor who gave us a number of a consultant who would conduct this service as I had already started the completion of the forms. We approached him but again he would not sign it unless he had a letter from a solicitor...more money.

Any advice would be appreciated..from a frustrated Dion.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Has she got a friend or neighbour who's known her for more than two years? This is usually the easiest and cheapest option. Doctors are unwilling to sign these kinds of documents, and solicitors can charge the earth.

Last edited:

Dion

May 25, 2016
Has she got a friend or neighbour whose known her for more than two years? This is usually the easiest and cheapest option. Doctors are unwilling to sign these kinds of documents, and solicitors can charge the earth.

Thanks for the response...
She has friends however I assumed that because she has been diagnosed that a doctor would be best placed to sign the forms to ensure that she understands what she is signing and it would stand up to scrutiny.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yeah but doctors don't like the responsibility. Unless you think someone in her family might challenge the LPA, don't think twice about using a friend. We did and it was painfree and easy. As long as they are happy that she understands what she is signing, it will be fine.

Dion

May 25, 2016
Yeah but doctors don't like the responsibility. Unless you think someone in her family might challenge the LPA, don't think twice about using a friend. We did and it was painfree and easy. As long as they are happy that she understands what she is signing, it will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Beate is right - it doesnt have to be a doctor. The legal requirement is for it to be someone who has known her well for at least 2 years, so that they can tell that she understands what she is doing. She (your MIL) only needs to understand at the time that she is signing what she is doing, it doesnt matter if she forgets afterwards.

Debbs3006

May 23, 2016
Same problem with mums GP

I had the same problem with my mum. Her GP wanted to charge £120 and wasn't keen to do it anyway. He told me I should see a solicitor or if I really wanted him to do it I'd have to go back at a later date and book a longer appointment. I really didn't feel he was interested (as he hasn't been in most things) so asked mums neighbour and good friend of 15 years if she would be happy to do it, which she was. She actually knows mum better than the GP, and was fully aware of what we were doing and why. Most people don't realise that you don't have to use a professional.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
thanks

I had the same problem with my mum. Her GP wanted to charge £120 and wasn't keen to do it anyway. He told me I should see a solicitor or if I really wanted him to do it I'd have to go back at a later date and book a longer appointment. I really didn't feel he was interested (as he hasn't been in most things) so asked mums neighbour and good friend of 15 years if she would be happy to do it, which she was. She actually knows mum better than the GP, and was fully aware of what we were doing and why. Most people don't realise that you don't have to use a professional.

I have just got forms to fill in for oh.as told I will need them in the futcher.
I looked thrue them and was wondering owe can sine them so reading this as helpt me a lot

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I used a neighbour, who had known him 8 years. We have a mutual signing agreement, both ex professionals! Very useful!