Lasting Power of Attorney problem

Hugh123

Aug 5, 2018
Hello,

Please can anybody help with our family dilemma.

My Dad is 89 years old and has Alzheimer’s which is getting worse by the day.

My concern is that my Step Mother, aged 88, has taken out a Lasting Power of Attorney for him, She did this with the guidance of her daughter who refuses to talk to us, for reasons we cannot fathom.

My sister & I didn’t know they were doing this, so we could not object at the time, now the LPA has been registered and our Step Mother is the only Attorney.

I’m worried if my Step Mother passes away first we will have no Power of Attorney for our Dad and therefore unable to make any decisions for him either health wise or in financial matters.

I’m at a loss how this can even be allowed to happen, given that my sister and I are his closest blood relatives and in constant contact with him. We feel we need to change this and would like to be added as Attorney’s, so we can all act jointly in Dad’s best interest.

Well that’s the situation. Has anybody had a similar experience, and if so, how would you suggest we get this put right?

Regards,
Hugh

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I think you can just do a new one as long as your dad is still capable and agrees

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If your dad still has mental capacity to understand why not talk to your step mum and dad together and explain your concern as you have done in your post.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Legally it's up to the donor, your Dad, to deal with the situation. He appoints the attorney(s) and he's the only one who could revoke this one and start a new one. There is no such thing as adding anyone to an existing LPA.

Legally your Stepmum has done nothing wrong. There is no age limit, and one attorney is legally considered sufficient, plus there is no obligation to let specific people know. Of course it makes a lot of sense to have replacement attorneys whichever age you are, because we could all be run over by a bus tomorrow. However, it's too late now to amend the existing one, and only if your Dad had sufficient mental capacity could he revoke it and make a new one. I fear however that a 89 year old PWD being told one thing by his wife and another by his children might just get confused and do nothing - and you cannot really influence him in this.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Hugh123, welcome to TP. I hope you find this to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

If your Dad no longer has capacity or doesn't want to change arrangements and your Step Mother passes away first you will need to apply to the Court of Protection to become your Dad's deputy. Unfortunately this can be a time consuming and expensive option.

You may wish to have a read at the AS Factsheet about the whole issue of LPOA and you can find it by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...loads/factsheet_lasting_power_of_attorney.pdf

Hugh123

Aug 5, 2018
Hi,
Many thanks to all the members who've replied to me, as I explained in my first post the only Attorney on our Dads LPA is our Step Mother.

Relations with our step mother and her family have broken down. My sister & I would like to revoke the existing LPA and make a new one with 3 Attorneys including; our step mother, my sister and myself. Sadly our Dads Alzeimers is slowly getting worse, he is confused and pressurised, our step mother is also his carer and he doesn't want to upset her as she looks after him.

Unfortunately my step mother is refusing to give us the original LPA which needs returning to the Friends of the Guardians.

My question is: To revoke the LPA you need to return the original LPA with the "revoke" form, however what can we do if our step mother refuses to give it to us?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
With respect, it is not up to you to revoke the LPA.
As your step mother is your dads carer, she is the one who will need the POA for all the day to day activities.
If she revoked the POA and your dad was unwilling or unable to sign a new one then (as has previously been mentioned) the Court of Protection will need to be asked to make a judgement to appoint a deputy. This can take several months and cause considerable hardship to your dad and step mother and the outcome may be that none of you is appointed deputy, but a solicitor instead. It could turn into a long drawn out and expensive option.

I can see that you want to be involved in your dads care and would feel left out, but I think it would be best to let it lie and only worry about the POA if your step-mother unfortunately passed away first.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
This POA is your father's decision and he signed it. Why should your Stepmum hand over a perfectly legal POA and risk her attorneyship being taken from her if Dad, who by your own admission is more confused by the day, might not be able to sign a new one? If relationships have broken down, how can she be sure you're not going to create a new one that leaves her out entirely? Sorry, but if I was her, I wouldn't hand it over either. You're saying Dad is pressurised and I hope you realise you'll be putting him under pressure too with all this. If you wanted POA, it might have been a good idea to discuss it with him prior to your Stepmum getting it done.

Last edited:

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi
This is interesting reading as this has just happened in our family.
I have poa, sisters wanted to do another one so they got a solicitor and there are 2 poa in place
You do not have to evoke one power of attorney you can just add another one
I think?

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi shedrech
Yes I have checked there was 2 at last check I’m on one and sisters on another.
Iv just sent another check request now it can take 10 days
But last check was 6th July so I think it’s correct

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I do not know the legal position but it does not seem sensible to have two Powers of Attorney with different attorneys covering the same person's financial affairs as this seems likely to lead to disagreement and even conflict. Attorneys must act in the Donor's best interests and I can't see how this could be the case if there were two, potentially 'rival' LPsA. But the fundamental point is that it is only the Donor who can revoke or grant Power of Attorney. They must both wish to do so and have the mental capacity. No family members or other potential attorneys can change Power of Attorney if the Donor does not want to.

Last edited:

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
That can’t be right surely?
Wouldn’t I have been notified if it’s not valid?
Or would they still send me via email the certificates for pwd x 2 ?
Looks like one of us is in for a surprise then ! Lol