Large pressure sore and sepsis!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Rosserk, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    I have taken a screen shot of the call logs which shows the number, date time and duration of the calls. Surely I can get a list of calls from my mobile phone statements and they should be able to do the same.

2. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    I know but when your so tired and drained its hard to recall things. I think you will be more able to recall when you have given yourself the time to rest and leave it for now. You can't do anythng right now its Sunday night, so take the opportunity and rest, tomorrow you can pick up where you left with better clarity. I know its whizzing round in your head right now, but that won't help you when it comes to dealing with this properly. So give yourself the chance of some quite time if you can.

3. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Thank you again your advice is sound. I am getting confused reading the complaint response I definitely thought I was called by an agency nurse and that’s what I say in the complaint they say it was a doctor I spoke with.

I’m glad you pointed it out because I don’t want to give them any wrong information. Whilst my memory of events is not as clear as I would hope the information in the complaint and the response are clear and not open to interpretation! X

4. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    My father has rallied and has had some porridge and a drink. He is still very aggressive and won’t let the nurses touch him, he’s also scratching the wound and they are struggling to stop him!

I was expecting SS to call but I haven’t heard from anyone. The nurse said hospital safe guarding team will visit my father then they will report the issue to Council Safeguarding team who will then call me.

It appears to be a waiting game as to what happens next, they really don’t factor worrying relatives into the equation and I understand my father is there priority but it concerns me that the next time anyone contacts me it will be to say they’ve sent him back to the nursing home. Surely they won’t do that until they’ve investigated? My instincts tell he no but nothing would surprise me!

5. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Well I waited for a call all day and when it finally came at 4:30. Social Services (SS) advised me that my dad had recovered from the urosepsis and was ready to be discharged back to the care home. I said I didn’t want him to return before the investigation was completed and was told in that case they would look for temporary placement which I have no say over. They haven’t spoken to the care home to get their version of events but they were happy for him to go back while the enquiries/ investigation took place.

I then rang the Hospital safeguarding team (HSG) and told them what SS had said but they said they will not discharge him back to his care home! She said she would ring SS and clarify exactly why they believe it is safe to return him. I also asked the lady from the HSG if it was her father would she let him go back and she said absolutely not! I am totally confused why SS would consider sending him back when they haven’t completed an investigation into my fathers care. I am also really concerned that the hospital are happy to release him before the pressure sore is healed, I guess they need the bed and the pressure sore can be managed elsewhere.

I am also really worried about getting another Care home to take my dad because he can lash out when he’s receiving personal care. He’s in a wheelchair and can’t propel himself so it’s not difficult to move away from him if he’s agitated he can’t come after you. He does use some terribly bad language though which makes me cringe! His current care home haven’t reported any difficult behaviour that they were unable to deal with but I can’t help but wonder if the current problem was caused because the carers are weary of him and if I’m honest I don’t blame them.

I don’t know what the best thing to do is? What if I can’t find anywhere to take him? He was sectioned on a 117 and has a Dols in place so he has to go somewhere! It’s all such a mess!

6. Louise7

Louise7 Registered User

Mar 25, 2016
    Have they lifted the Section 117? I'm not too sure about all the specifics but I think that if he has been sectioned under section 117 the local authority/NHS are responsible for finding a suitable placement as part of 'section 117 aftercare'. I don't think that it's down to you to find a suitable home, but check with the hospital safeguarding team. They have made the decision that he won't be discharged back to his previous home so should be able to explain what the next steps are, and he won't be discharged until a suitable placement is found for him. Once the safeguarding team have spoken to social services about the situation they'll hopefully update you about what's going to happen next.

7. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019

Thank you! No the 117 will never be lifted. He was sectioned by the state. He is advanced stages of dementia he can’t really talk he doesn’t understand what you say to him although he can manage a string of expletives! He can’t walk or assist with transfer from wheelchair, he needs two people and a hoist, he is double incontinent and can’t feed himself, dress or wash. He has NHS continuing health care funding.

I am more worried about having no say in where they put him. The Councils first choice when he was sectioned wasn’t fit for a dog! I’m just praying I can have some input to where he ends up!