1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Large pressure sore and sepsis!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Rosserk, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Hi all

My fathers care home called me Monday to say my dad had a small scratch that had become infected but was now on bed rest and being closely monitored. I have my mum at home also with dementia and she goes hysterical if I’m out of her sight. I’ve also just had an operation to repair two fractures in my foot so it’s not easy to get to see him. I wasn’t overly worried about what was described as a small scratch.

Last night I had a call at 11:34 pm to say my father was taken to hospital at 7pm so the call was 4.5 hours after he was taken to hospital! I was told he was unresponsive and had been vomiting.

Arrived at the hospital to find my father has urinary sepsis and a large pressure sore which has been there for some considerable time. Eight weeks prior I made a complaint to the care home about finding my dad unattended and alone with a plate of food in front of him. He’s unable to feed himself and needs to be encouraged to drink. I’d also had a report about a pressure sore from an agency nurse on nights which I included in the complaint. My complaint wasn’t upheld and I was told the agency nurse had made a mistake and my father did not have a pressure sore! I was made to feel ridiculous and it made visiting even more difficult.

In view of what’s now happened I feel I should have done more and insisted on an external investigation. I am so angry and really worried my dad could die because I let the care home fob me off!!

The hospital are raising a safeguarding issue with social services on Monday. If my father recovers I don’t want him returned to the nursing home but the disruption could be really traumatic. He’s funded by the LA and I’m scared they won’t move him anyway. I feel physically sick and don’t know what to do. My husband thinks I need to be careful before I raise another complaint because it might make things worse for my dad. I want to raise the roof!

I would be really grateful for any advice on what to do. X

2. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    It sounds like you have your hands full,between home and the care home,It' a battle at times isn't it,our folks are lucky that they have family to speak for them and question situations,some poor souls haven't got anyone.

Best wishes xx

3. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    Raise the roof, sky high!
    No excuse for unrecorded Pressure Sores.

Bod

4. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Thank you yes I was thinking the same.

5. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    I would certainly challenge this. From your version of events it sounds as if they were hoping to fob this off onto the hospital, however, patients pressure areas are checked on admission or should be and any pressure ulcers are recorded and often photographed for the record. A 'scratch' and a pressure ulcer are worlds apart.

The question you do need to ask if you feel up to it, is whether the pressure ulcer is the source of the sepsis or the UTI?? Pressure ulcers are not supposed to happen these days and are classed as 'never events'.

I would be more understanding if the CH came clean and told you that a pressure sore had been noted -the question on that is if it was noticed? Which if it wasn't rings alarm bells

6. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    That’s my feeling but I’m scared they will wiggly out of it again! It scares me that they called Monday to say he had a small scratch when in fact it was a pressure sore which the hospital say has definitely been there far longer than 4 days. It’s the size of a small apple and its an open wound! There are a few small scratches near the wound which were probably caused because he was uncomfortable. I don’t know how much power Social services have to investigate. Everything I complained about in my original complaint has been shown to be true. The hospital said my dad was severely dehydrated. To my mind this is extreme neglect and should be a criminal offence.

7. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    When I arrived at the hospital I sat down at the nurses station so they could tell me what was happening and when the nurse was talking I noticed some pictures on the desk. When I glanced across she quickly picked them up and folded them. I said are they pictures of my dads wound and she said yes. I said can I see them please I think I have a right to see the problem, so she passed them to me. They were printed on ordinary white paper so the ink had bled into the paper so it wasn’t really clear but I clearly saw how big it was and it was blood red. My father is in a wheelchair can’t walk and no longer communicates. Hopefully they’ve kept copies of the pictures on the camera or uploaded them to a PC.

It is very suspicious that the CH only called Monday to inform me of a scratch when the hospital are certain the wound has been there a considerable length of time. I think they called because he became sick and they had to inform me the doctor had prescribed antibiotics. If it transpires they delayed in sending him to hospital to cover it up I think I will explode. Their phone records will confirm they never called me.

Your description is spot on it’s a pressure ulcer and looks extremely sore.

8. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Absolutely, and quite right that you should be concerned about this the actions or lack of action taken by the CH and frankly I would not worry about upsetting them, I would be pushing for him to be moved elsewhere. The safety and care of your dad is paramount rather than worrying about how the move may or may not unsettle him. The only point I would add is that I saw first hand in my dad how quickly dehydration and urosepsis can set in...a matter of 24 hours in dad's case and unfortunately he did not recover however for your dad it suggests the pressure sore had been there for some time untreated.

9. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa
    I often wonder about people that have difficulty eating and how much help they are given to eat and drink and how much time is dedicated to that,in some hospitals there are volunteers to help such people,as we know the body needs those nutrients to grow and repair new skin and to prevent pressure sores

10. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019

I think they were treating the pressure sore they just didn’t want to admit to me he had one. I also think they delayed sending him to hospital.

I’ve just spoken with the hospital and they said my dads temperature has gone through the roof! They made me feel so guilty for not going down there to see him but it means leaving my mum who will sob and cry if I leave the house. I’d also have to get a taxi because I can’t drive. I’m torn between going and staying if anything happens will I ever forgive myself for not being there. If I go I’m not sure I can cope

11. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    I am mindful of commenting on this, because I don't know all of the facts and I don't wish to bias you. I think the in the first instance you need some breathing space and time to think and talk to the hospital doctors about events so far.

Pressure ulcers are dangerous because once the peripheral nerves are destroyed the person no longer realises there is a problem because they no longer feel pain from the ulcer which becomes open to infection

12. Feistywoman

Feistywoman Registered User

Aug 11, 2018
    @Rosserk please be kind to yourself, you cannot split yourself in two and you’re doing the very best you can in the circumstances. Your Dad will be on IV abx which should hopefully start to fight the infection. If the hospital has a tissue viability team I’d have a word to find out how long they reckon the pressure sore has been there, it may give you ammunition with Social Services to get your Dad moved. Take care

13. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Please don't feel guilty...you can only do what you can do. He is in good hands at the hospital and receiving appropriate treatment and care. Hopefully the antibiotics and fluids will start to kick in. Keep in contact with the ward and let them reassure you, give yourself a bit of breathing space and that will help to assess whether or when to visit.

14. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    Thank you.
    I’m at the hospital now I couldn’t stay away. I’ve fed him some ice cream and his temperature had already come right back down by the time I got here. He’s barely awake and doesn’t know I’m here but I will have satisfied the staff who made me feel incredibly guilty for not racing down here.

The hospital have reported a safe guarding issue and I’ve also called out of hours and informed them my dads been neglected. I’ve asked about the pressure sore and they said it’s pretty bad and hasn’t been caused by a scratch they’ve also said the care home were a bit stroppy with them, I didn’t delve into why. They have also told me to gather all my evidence and someone from the hospital safeguard team will come and see me Monday. They agree something is amiss! I want to kill someone but I’m staying away from the care home for now.

15. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019

Thank you. I’ve spoken with the hospital and of their own volition they have raised a safeguarding issue with their safeguarding team. They have asked me to gather all the information I have regarding my previous complaint and the CH response. Someone will visit me on Monday.

16. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Female
    It is right that the care home's treatment of your dad should be investigated, after all, there are other vulnerable people in their care who maybe don't have family to expose bad practise.

17. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    I’m sure that’s occurred to the hospital. X

18. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    My dad has woken up thrown a jug of water across the room and punched a nurse in the face! The hospital are not happy and made me feel so guilty for not going down there, I can’t control him and when he’s aggressive it makes me feel physically sick. I’m not sure any care home will take him with his violent behaviour. He can go from cute little old man to raging predator in the blink of an eye. I’m also wondering if his violent outbursts are the reason why he’s being neglected because they’re afraid to go near him!

Mum has washed a T-shirt and shoved it in her drawer with her clothes she wrote her name in it and is blaming someone else. Not sure how much more I can take.

19. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    It might be delerium, but he can't help it if it isn't. Its unfortunate a nurse got hit and worrying for you at what might be the outcome. But these are professionals, and as such they should deal with it in that way.

It may be that he needs to go to an EMI unit, where his needs could be better met, but its early days yet. I know its easier said than done, but try not to get too stressed, its not your fault your dad has these outbursts either

20. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    Essex
    Oh @Rosserk , I really feel for you , you are going through it, all while you should be recuperating from your op . You cannot be held responsible for your dad’s actions and nor can he . Don’t feel pressurised to go to the hospital , they can think what they like , they do not know your situation . Are you able to call Admiral Nurse and see what they can advise ? You really need help and soon . I am sorry I can’t help , but here to listen . Please try and take care of yourself too amongst all this. X