Lap top problems -please help

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
I wonder whether any one else have experienced the same problems as I am having, in which case please let me know what to do.

My lap top does not like TP!!!!!!!!!!!

I can connect to the internet, I can read all the threads and jump about as much as I like, but the minute I try to respond i.e. type a reply it freezes. I can still go on the internet and use other sites, I can type on facebook without it happening, but every time I go on TP the same thing occurs. Is there any logical reason for this and in which case what do I have to do.

I initially thought it was a connection problem, but obviously not, the lap top shows I am connected and everything else works!!!!!!!!

Help please.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Yes beats me every time Lin.

My printer went today as well, the copying bit is not registering to the computer, customer service says it is cheaper to buy a new one than to have it repaired. It is 10 days out of guarantee. Wonderful. As you say the wonders of technology. But I cannot do without it.

Take care Lin

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve no idea Winnie but I`ll move this into the Computer Tips Section where it might get a response.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've no idea either, Winnie, unless it's a memory problem.

Do you have other programmes running at the same time, or several tabs open? Sometimes I end up with several tabs because I've been clicking links and then just returning to TP without closing them, and that can cause problems.

I'm the world's worst with printers, I get through them at a rate of knots. They al;ways tell you to buy a new one, which means that your stock of ink is wasted!:mad:

And I've given up trying to connect my new printer to the hub, it just won't have it!:mad:

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
It is sad how some printer manufacturers treat us, and how others are just the opposite.

I still use my Star dot matrix printer which I purchased in about 1990.

They have been out of production for about 15 years now.

When I updated my computer to Windows XP the printer started to add an extra blank line every time my printing carried over to a second page.

I emailed Star in Taiwan who no longer sells ordinary printers in the UK. They spent about 4 weeks trying to figure out what was different with Windows XP, and I was asked to send them lots of information about how the internal printer software was reacting.

Eventually Star decided tinkering with the machine would not solve the problem and they made me a new microchip to fit inside the printer. They sent this with full instructions on how to take the printer to bits and how to replace the obsolete microchip with the new one.

Star did this all free of charge and when I emailed my thanks they emailed back their thanks for my thanks:)

I have already had a further two years life from the printer. Why do we now get printers that only last a year or so?

You cannot buy a Star printer in the UK anymore :(

Clive

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My last printer, from a major manufacturer of computers, had an ink problem and the company simply couldn't figure it out, so I gave the printer away. A new ink cartridge, rather than the faulty one they had sold me that caused the problem, might have worked, but after their poor customer support, I switched to my present manufacturer. The firm has probably lost me as a PC buyer now.

I have to say the quality on my new printer is far superior.

Print technology has developed very quickly in the past couple of decades and it continues as digital demands increase.

My new printer cost about £70 and produces perfect photographic prints. At that price, I reckon if I get a couple of years use, then a replacement would be latest technology [which usually means better quality output], so I treat printers as consumables these days. Use and discard.

The printer cost £70.

Replacement ink cartridges [it uses five] cost £55 each time I change them all. Both printer and ink are consumable items, albeit at a cost.

There are some really cheap printers these days if one doesn't want highest quality photographic printing and as they are simpler technology, they may well be cheaper to run and less prone to failure.

Clive's experience with Star is exactly how things should be. Sadly, it is rarely the case, so we have to live with the alternative.

.... or do we?

simonmonty

Nov 22, 2008
Yorkshire
Hello winnie. Have you tried typing first in your windows words then pasting it onto talking point. I had problems with my connection and kept loosing everything. I know it will not cure it but might be a way round it till you get it sorted.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Everybody, Sorry it has taken me so long to come back to this thread.

Sylvia thank you for moving my thread, I had forgotten there is a computer section

Hazel I don't have anything else open, I have made it a habbit always to close any programme that I have used before opening another.

Clive What a fantastic service, that is how it should be, I bet you will stick with that company forever.

Bruce, Funnily enough one of my carers said exactly the same thing, he treats printers as consumables too, so I have decided to do the same and have just ordered a cheap printer. If that last more than a year I will be happy. The cartridges alone cost more than half the price of the printer. I print very few photos and if I do it is just for my own walls for fun. I mostly print letters, emails and perhaps something I have searched on line, so I am sure this one will be adequate.

Simon, I had forgotten about typing in words first, I will try that later tonight and let you know how I get on. Thank you for reminding me. Good idea.

Thank you again to everybody who answered my thread.
Tea now and then I will have a go.

Take care

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Winnie,

I wish I knew the answer to the problem of you not being able to reply without it freezing but I don't. Sandy and Jenniferpa are very good at this kind of thing and perhaps you could drop them a PM and see if they can help.

Love