Ladies Slippers

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get some warm slippers for my mum, in London or Kent? I know this sounds simple but it's not. My mum has large feet (8+) and she has a bunion on the top of one foot. Both feet are deformed from wearing tight dancing shoes when much younger and she has I think what is called hammer toes on both feet.

When she was mobile I had a lot of problems finding her comfortable footwear and mostly she used to wear sandals which fastened with velcro. When these needed replacing I found something identical in a shop in Bognor, but it's a long way to go.

She has worn a pair of lined (lambswool or something similar) men's slippers for years but I can see that these are rubbing on her feet. (They are also not very attractive) Can anyone suggest a solution/supplier? I have bought slippers a couple of pairs recently and had to take them back.

Deborah

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother has a multitude of foot problems, including intermittent gout, although her feet are not as large as your Mother's. I only found one company that had slippers (and in fact shoes) that fit. The 2 downsides are that 1) they are not cheap (although I may be out of touch re slipper cost) and 2) they have been experiencing supply problems recently (I ended up purchasing a pair from a third party recently, as the originating company were out of stock). I have PM'd you, although you can probably find their name if you google "women's slippers for swollen feet"

Jennifer

You'll note I'm following Sylvia's lead in not naming names, but I have to say, I think we are taking this "no advertising" thing a little far: at the top of the forum it says "Personal recommendations are welcome but if you have any commercial interest please declare this openly." - does this not still hold?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Just my view, but it seems to me that if any member has found something to be helpful in the care of their loved one, then it is a seriously good thing to let other people know as it may help them too.

I appreciate that there are people out there who have no caring role, but fingers in commercial pies, who will try to sell or promote things. I am constantly prising the most obvious scammers out of TP.

I'm inclined to the view that it is better to have one 'wrong' person trying to sell something, and have the majority of people helping others with genuine tips - that to exclude everyone from learning things that are genuinely useful.

We can always take out the false recommendations, but we can't invent the useful stuff that people have not been able to post.....

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Hi to all

Without wishing to 'advertise' (as has been discussed already), I have found that 'Cosy Feet' (I'm sure they have a web site) are good, although I wouldn't recommend the boot version as they don't give adequate ankle support. They come in all sizes and have velcro straps so fit well. I don't have any vested interest in the company but recommend them to my own patients (not that I'm supposed to do that either!!). Hope I haven't annoyed anyone, just my own humble opinion!!

Kate x.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I got some velcro-fastening ones from the Help the Aged catalogue. My mother liked them but they only arrived 3 days before she died.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ha - tell the truth and shame the devil: Cosy Feet was my suggestion as well. Although, as I said, they have had some serious supply problems recently.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear everyone, many thanks for all your helpful replies. I've noticed (enviously) some of the slippers on those websites, on the feet of my mum's fellow residents, but never been able to ask anyone where they got them from. Will try the 'Cornish pasty' ones to start with ( the ones that fold over at the front) and see how we get on. I appreciate all your suggestions. Thanks again.

Jodie Lucas

Dec 3, 2005
Eastbourne
slippers

Hi Debroah,

I am a podiatrist by trade and have found that the best slippers are ones with velcro strapping and are very good for security and are particularly useful for people with toe deformities. A couple of useful companys are cosy feet (www.cosyfeet.com) where you can order online or order their new catalogue. There is also another website www.footsmart.com where again you can order online or order their catalogue.

Hope this of use to you.

Jodie

Gwyneva

Feb 11, 2007
Slippers

Yes, Deborah, I can vouch for Cosy Feet as well. Their factory outlet is near to me - so
in the past I've been able to take mum there to try things on. Just one 'but': sheepskin is so lovely to wear against bare skin - and the slippers mum got from cosy feet were synthetic, nylonish and not nearly so nice to wear. However, they do work!:) Gwyneva

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Cosyfeet

Yep I can recommend Cosyfeet extra wide as well. Mum has bunions and so far they are the only slippers to recommend at present. Bit pricey, but worth it. especially with the velcrose, cos the feet and ankles swell sometimes.

Gwyneva

Feb 11, 2007
Sheepskin slippers

Hi Deborah
I checked out a factory shop near me today - they do sheepskin slippers by mail order and you could ring them for a catalogue. Most styles go up to size 8 and some much larger. Their no is 01458 837627 and they have an online shop at www.draper-of-glastonbury.com. love Gwyneva