Lack of patience

Harleyford Girl

May 13, 2016
My mum has Alzheimer's and my dad is her carer 24/7 as he refuses to have additional help. My dad frequently shouts & swears at my mum which I find extremely distressing to witness. Should I report my dad to my mums GP ? How can I ensure her safety ? I feel he should not be her carer any longer.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Does he want to continue to be her carer? This is a hugely stressful responsibility with those who give 24/7 care driven to distraction at times. Has he any time to himself? Are there others to give him a break?

Ask SS for a needs assessment for your mother and a carers assessment for your Dad. He may be suffering as well as her.

Charlie1929

May 22, 2017
Somewhere in England
My mum has Alzheimer's and my dad is her carer 24/7 as he refuses to have additional help. My dad frequently shouts & swears at my mum which I find extremely distressing to witness. Should I report my dad to my mums GP ? How can I ensure her safety ? I feel he should not be her carer any longer.

Hello Harleyford Girl, your dad is probably struggling seeing your mum change and by shouting he thinks he can stop it, or in other words keep some control. Did he shout when she was well or has this started since your mum's illness? I wouldn't go as far as to say 'report' him to your mum's GP, but if it were me I would make an appointment and say that he is struggling and could the GP sensitively intervene without your dad knowing you had raised concerns. Sometimes people accept support and advice from 'figures of authority' (odd expression, but meaning GP or hospital Consultant) when they won't from family and friends. I hope your dad accepts some help and I think someone needs to talk to him about Alzheimer's Disease so that he understands what a cruel, untamed illness this is. God bless you all and I pray help and support comes to you all soon.