Lack of eating food and drink

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
Hi all

My mum is in the later stages of Alzheimer's, and her appetite has been up and down for a considerable time. But in the last few weeks she has hardly eaten or drunk very much at all. The NH thinks she has just gone downhill with the Alz. We tried custard with her yesterday and she was hardly even eating that, she was nearly spitting it out.

Although it probably is another phase in the disease (possibly her last) which we can do nothing about (perhaps not now knowing how to swallow?), I wondered if it was possible food could have gotten stuck in her gullet, hence her not eating or even drinking hardly anything. The problem is that because of her lack of communication she would not be able to tell us if anything was physically wrong.

Up until the last few weeks, one day shed be eating and drinking ok, then the next not much. Now its hardly anything every day.

Has anyone else experienced this in their loved one?

Thanks

Peter

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Hi Peter, Yes Mum was the same at the end only eating small amounts like custard and soups then started to less and less and lost a lot of weight. I would ask your GP for a dietician assessment, they will give you thick protein drinks which will give some nutrition.
Mum stopped drinking them in the end, I think she knew her body had had enough.
I am sure someone else will come along and give you some more advise.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I may be wrong but I would have thought that if she had something stuck in her gullet she would be coughing?
My mother is now eating very little and it is what happens for some people as they slowly wind down. She is just on thickened drinks mainly now and appears to be losing the memory to swallow.
One thing I noticed the nurse tested for was thrush or other infections in the mouth, as this might prevent someone wanting to swallow if their throat was sore. So I would make sure that the staff have checked properly and have a plan in place for her.