Labels and Jargon

smarty pants

Nov 14, 2007
Wirral but Dad in Wales
Hiy'all
I find myself in a sea of Labels and Jargon!!
During this past week alone I have been called "carer", "manager", "agent", "banker" to name but a few - none of which I have ever considered and as each one hit me I felt lower and lower! This is just the start of it all and I ask myself how I can be all these things and still remain loving daughter?
As for the jargon I am learning quickly - SS, Social Services; SW, Social Worker; CPN ?; etc. Is there a jargon buster on this site anywhere? If not it could be useful.
Anyway, everyone, I am new to this but also want to give back to this site as I use it. If I can be of help then just let me know how and if it is within my capabilities I will gladly contribute.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
someone at mum day centre intruded me as '' This is Isabel carer ''

I said no I am her daughter .

I have found after looking after mum that I have lost being her daughter and am now her carer in people perception of me looking after her .

Then on a TV interview someone said that once they in care home you became the daughter or wife again because your looking after they emotion side more , rather then all they physical side.

Me I just feel I'll always be my mother daughter , No one can take that away from me, with they labeling that they perceptions how they perceive it not mine :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margarita,
You are your mother`s daughter and you care for her. You will always be her daughter and you will always care for her.
Love xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
..... none of which I have ever considered and as each one hit me I felt lower and lower!

Try reversing it, Smarty pants ... instead of feeling low - compile yourself a chart / list in a prominent place ......of all the 'functions' you manage - (aside from the 'instinctive loving' bit!!!!!) ..... and keep adding ... one thing about 'caring' is we find skills and traits (labels?) .... we perhaps never knew we had ...... and keeping our confidence about ourselves as 'carers' (or whatever label we are carrying at the time) sure helps .......:)

Love, Karen, x

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Hi Smarty pants

Anyone can call me what they want!as long i don't hear them.lol.
A member started a thread on tea room a couple of months ago regarding jargon.if you want to take a look its page 8 on tea room.it got quite amusing after a while.
love elainex

crazyjude

Nov 30, 2007
Yorkshire UK
Hia! im just getting my head round all the abbreviatons and jargon and labels myself. oH HOW I WISH my family would pick out all the different labels for me: mum, laundrywoman, cook, cleaner, taxi,accountant, counsellor, etc etc etc :D

Last edited:

Jilly88

Aug 11, 2006
Margate, Kent.
CPN: Community Psychiatric Nurse.
I had one come to my house to see my aunt. She promptly told him to s*d off! Ha ha!
Love
Jilly
xxx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I've just looked at the link and realise that for the past six months I thought LOL meant Lots of Love, and it means Laugh Out Loud. No wonder I didn't understand some peoples' use of the abbreviation!

Margaret

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
At our local A.S. Branch we are trying to compile a booklet for everyone with all the abbrevation in it. Hopefully, we will be able to complete it in 208.
Best wishes . Christine