Labelling a pair of glasses

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Does anyone have suggestions on how to put Mums name on her glasses to help care home staff keep track of them? We were sent a lovely photo of mum but noticed that she was wearing someome else's glasses and trousers! We are not bothered about the trousers, all her clothes are labelled so I'm sure hers will turn up eventually ( she has several pairs anyway). However, her glasses are not labelled and both pairs seem to have gone walk about - we are not blaming anyone as when mum was at home, she was always misplacing them!

As she spent a few hours in A&E on Friday following a fall, she might have left one pair there.

So as soon as her optician opens again, I plan to pop in and buy another couple of pairs, as cheap as possible as she no longer needs the special reactolight lenses as she no longer goes out cyclong. I will take photos of them but would also like to label them with her name in some way - she likes thin frames so there is not much room!

Interestingly, in the photo Mum is sat in a chair in her room still wearing her handbag over her shoulder - I laughed to see that she is still obsessed with her bag!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Lynmax
I had this problem too, tried a strip of tape, tippex (just so something would stand out from others) ... all sorts ... didn't work ... got scratched/worn off

later I heard that opticians can inscribe a name on some frames so maybe discuss this when you go to order new specs

definitely go for cheap frames, dad mangled quite a few pairs so had to keep replacing them

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
later I heard that opticians can inscribe a name on some frames
Yes, the optician did this for mum. Her name was very clearly inscribed in block capitols and although they did go walkabout a few times, they were always found again. You need a frame with plastic arms - it cant be done on metal ones.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hope you find a solution to this. Mum got through umpteen pairs though it was never her who had broken/scratched them :rolleyes:
All were engraved with her name on the arms but it was so flippin' tiny I couldn't see it without my glasses and she certainly couldn't. She also denied that was her name :( According to mum, people came in at night and took them together with various other unmentionable things. It was a nightmare. Got a friendly optician to come in and do eye test then get her to choose frames. She enjoyed that but instantly forgot, so when they came they were 'horrible' and she would never have picked frames like that!

Also tried blobs of nail polish which did work for a bit. But her 'best' glasses were a really scruffy old pair of mens glasses which she'd picked up from somewhere...

Good luck!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Hmmm, need to think a bit more. Mum only likes frames with metal arms/legs so don't think they could be etched.. It's really to help the staff there locate them when they go missing and return to the right person.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
If the arms are wide enough could you not write very small on a sticky label cut to the size of a sliver ? Would using a fine line permanent marker then applying a thin coat of clear nail varnish over the top work?
If not initials in permanent marker.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hmmm, need to think a bit more. Mum only likes frames with metal arms/legs so don't think they could be etched.. It's really to help the staff there locate them when they go missing and return to the right person.
The Optican etched my husband glasses for me, they were metal frames and arms

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Also, ask the care home to attach an image (which you could send them in an email) of her glasses, so that at least they have a visual guide as to which ones they are and because as a "valuable" they should keep a list on her care plan of valuable items and for daily checking - i.e is person x wearing hearing aids/glasses etc
Some opticians do care home visits (presumably at a cost).

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
opticians did put namesw on all the residents glasses and some had 2 pairs one for reading and distance. they can put a letter which is which putting on the wrong glasses is as bad as no glasses at all and hurt eyes

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I used nail varnish on the inside of the arms and it worked fine for the 4 years my husband was in nursing care. I kept a bottle in his room so I could repaint as and when it faded. The biggest problem we had with glasses was he continually bent the arms back and broke them. I bought special flexible frames but he still broke them. Never solved that one.?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I think it is now sorted!
The care home have an optician who goes to the home to do the eye test and will etch the name on the specs.

All this is new to us and we have not had the chance to visit the home to go through arrangements as mum went there four weeks ago straight from hospital.

We have not signed a contract nor pain any fees yet - it's all covered by Gvt funding until after the pandemic when we can visit for a meeting and have a financial assessment.

Thank you for all your suggestions.