LA have confused me

Nellymelon79

Sep 14, 2019
I really don’t know where to start. My mum is in care and so far we have been paying a respite price into the financial assessment was completed. Now that has happened I’m confused. I’ve done nothing with her house as of yet but I’m unsure as to sell it now or later or rent it out. Any help is gratefully received

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Nellymelon79
welcome to posting on DTP
what you decide to do with your mum's property is really down to what is better in your circumstances
have the LA agreed to a deferred payment scheme so you are not under time pressure?
if your mum's income covers all her care fees, then you might keep the property and rent it to provide her with extra income ... just consider that it must be in a fit state to rent out and must be maintained and thete's no guarantee that it will be occupied constantly
personally, I wasn't willing to take on the responsibility of looking after dad's property as well as my own, so sold it
and if her income doesn't wholly cover her fees, I'd say sell so you are not worrying about where to find the money to pay the fees
an Attorney needs to look after the donor's finances and conserve funds as much as possible but doesn't have to manage them as a fund manager might to actively seek out a high return
so as long as you look after your mum's finances, I'd say do what is most straight forward for you ... then you can concentrate on your mum

Nellymelon79

Sep 14, 2019
hello @Nellymelon79
welcome to posting on DTP
what you decide to do with your mum's property is really down to what is better in your circumstances
have the LA agreed to a deferred payment scheme so you are not under time pressure?
if your mum's income covers all her care fees, then you might keep the property and rent it to provide her with extra income ... just consider that it must be in a fit state to rent out and must be maintained and thete's no guarantee that it will be occupied constantly
personally, I wasn't willing to take on the responsibility of looking after dad's property as well as my own, so sold it
and if her income doesn't wholly cover her fees, I'd say sell so you are not worrying about where to find the money to pay the fees
an Attorney needs to look after the donor's finances and conserve funds as much as possible but doesn't have to manage them as a fund manager might to actively seek out a high return
so as long as you look after your mum's finances, I'd say do what is most straight forward for you ... then you can concentrate on your mum
The LA have said if I sell the house now then mum has to self fund but if I rent it out they will use the rent as income and still put a debt on it which will be paid when I eventually sell the house. I really don’t understand what they mean about the debt. I’ve spent the whole day crying about it as I really don’t know what do to or understand what they mean. I don’t know where to do to get advice as what is the best option.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Nellymelon79
what you describe is the deferred payment scheme
it means the property isn't sold now, but is 'effectively' used as a guarantee that any amount of care fees left unpaid on your mum's death will be paid then, on the sale of the property

you may find it helpful to actually talk with someone in real time, so I suggest you call the AS Helpline as the advisors have a lot of knowledge about theses financial issues

www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

0300 222 1122
open Sat 10-4

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
As the others have said, you can either sell your mother's house now and pay the care home fees from that money. Or the local authority will pay the fees and expect you to pay them back by selling the house at some point.

The house will have to be sold at some point in order to pay the fees, and personally I'd sell now, as I wouldn't want the hassle of renting it out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman