LA funded care home

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi all,
I hope someone can help.
My mum was place in a care home following 2 week assessment in hospital, where she was deemed to lack capacity and be at risk living alone, and the existing 4 x p/day care insufficient due to wandering and confusion etc.

The placement was due to be assessment with view to making permanent after 6 weeks and was to be funded by LA during that time. It's now 12 weeks and ss only just contacted me to review re making decision about making it permanent. The home is in lockdown so social worker wants to do video meeting with mum, me and care home to assess her capacity and whether she needs permanent placement.
Just before Christmas, she had independent social worker and psychiatrist assessment capacity for DOLS and both agreed placement should be permanent and that she lacks capacity. However the social worker says that's a separate department and she needs to do the assessment next week.
I'm worried about mum becoming distressed and confused by all these faces, including me on a video assessment, when she's never done video calls.
I'm also wondering about what will happen re finances. Mum's flat is a council flat and she's been getting housing benefit and council tax benefit. Her savings are under £14k, and she was nil assessed for her at home carers.
Until I get confirmation of placement being permanent, I can't give notice on her flat. But as the original review period was 6 weeks, even though ss have only made contact now, can/would they want to backdate taking her state pension to when the 6 weeks ended, or will that only start when placement confirmed as permanent.?
Similarly, could the backdate cancellation of housing and council tax benefit to the 6 week date? I'm worried that I could end up having to pay more than 2 months full rent, council tax and have them take pension paid back to the 6 week date.

I hope that makes sense but do ask if I need to clarify.

Really hoping you can help. Thank you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That's a lot of worry @Peony21.My partner never gets distressed on video calls, but can get very confused and I can imagine all the different faces will be hard for your mum to follow. Can the social worker do a separate assessment with the care home manager or senior carer. If it is you and the social worker on the call with your mum that might be easier.
On the finance side I was told they will take my partner's pension and pension credit once she is moved to a permanent placement. They will backdate the cost of the pathway 3 bed which has already over ran by a couple of weeks. Nobody has confirmed exact amounts, but it looks like it would be full state pension plus pension credit. I am certainly budgeting for that, but now you mention it I am tempted to call the Dementia Connect helpline for confirmation. They are open 9 to 5 tomorrow on 0333 150 3456 if you want to try them.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Thanks so much @nae sporran. That's very helpful. I'll call them too and will speak to CH manager tomorrow to see how we can make the assessment as simple as possible. I'm just annoyed that the psychiatric and independent social worker assessment was only a few weeks ago, so it seems excessive to need another one now, especially as it was actually due 2 weeks before the psychiatric and independent social worker did theirs! Plus the ongoing gp assessments and attempts to get mental health assessment/medication....Ach, I'll stop now....no good winding myself up before bed!

Thanks again.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Peony21
I think that what is happening this time is a Best Interest meeting.
This is a meeting to decide where it would be best for your mum live - to return home, stay in that care home or move to another one. My mum had a Best Interest meeting after she had been in her care home for 6 weeks assessment following a spell in hospital. There were several people at the meeting - the care home manager, mums GP, someone from SS, me and mum. At this meeting it was decided unanimously that mum should stay in the care home permanently. Obviously, with your mums care home being in lockdown the meeting cant be done in person, so they are trying to replicate this on-line. I can only say that if your mum cant handle it them Im sure someone will remove the video and this may well confirm the fact that she needs to stay there permanently.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Hi @Peony21
I think that what is happening this time is a Best Interest meeting.
This is a meeting to decide where it would be best for your mum live - to return home, stay in that care home or move to another one. My mum had a Best Interest meeting after she had been in her care home for 6 weeks assessment following a spell in hospital. There were several people at the meeting - the care home manager, mums GP, someone from SS, me and mum. At this meeting it was decided unanimously that mum should stay in the care home permanently. Obviously, with your mums care home being in lockdown the meeting cant be done in person, so they are trying to replicate this on-line. I can only say that if your mum cant handle it them Im sure someone will remove the video and this may well confirm the fact that she needs to stay there permanently.
I meant to add, do you think it's worth sending some evidence ahead of the meeting? For example, I have a voicemail recoded of her saying she's with friends and wants to go home to look after her mum but they're not letting her. (Mum's mum died over 20yrs ago). Or screenshot or her missed calls to me throughout the night?
Thanks.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think that it would do any harm at all @Peony21
The care home manager will be giving a lot of evidence about what her needs are and how much care she requires, but your evidence will add that bit extra.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Might be a good idea to check how long benefits continue when someone is in cre ( It can apply in hospitals too) .

If you are funded in one place, you wont continue to get funding for a seond- housing benefit for instance

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
Might be a good idea to check how long benefits continue when someone is in cre ( It can apply in hospitals too) .

If you are funded in one place, you wont continue to get funding for a seond- housing benefit for instance
Thanks @Jessbow . I'll look into that. Think I should get somewhere with the finance department on that. Social Worker really doesn't seem to know what they're doing.

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
I dont think that it would do any harm at all @Peony21
The care home manager will be giving a lot of evidence about what her needs are and how much care she requires, but your evidence will add that bit extra.
Thanks @canary . Luckily I have a good relationship with the CH manager and staff . And especially given the ongoing covid outbreak at the home, we see ourselves as working together as an extended team, rather than "the home and the relatives". So we discussed it yesterday and I sent evidence and concerns to social worker and suggested they seek further guidance from manager before booking any visit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086