Korsakoff

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
Hi my name is Dawn an my husband is a alcoho!ic his docter has referred him to memory clinic I am very worried that he won't get better because he can't see he has a problem is there idea how I convince him please

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to DTP @Long journey ahead

I'm so sorry to he of your husband's condition. I don't have any experience of this myself but I wondered if the Society's Factsheet would be of any help to you -

I'm glad you have found the forum - you'll get lots of help and support here. Keep posting.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
Thank you Izzy. This is really helpful. He is in complete denial. I believe unless he abstien completely from alcohol he will get worse. It's a nightmare waiting for memory clinic to contact him .

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Long journey ahead
welcome from me too
such a tough situation for you
I hope this isn't too simplistic a suggestion
is there any way you could water down what he drinks or swap for low alcohol alternatives but put in the bottles he recognises ... it might at least begin to lower the alcohol intake
though I appreciate this may not be possible, may be detectable or may have a negative effect, so not worth doing
maybe the consultant will be able to get through to him

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
My OH now has covid to add to his problems and is struggling to drink. Combined withdrawel symptoms he is very weak. He won't let me call the doctor because he knows he will be admitted to hospital again. Very worrying time . Trying my best to enjoy Christmas is proving difficult this year.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
How awful for you both, @Long journey ahead. Hospitals are not the best place to be when you have dementia, but even after the hard times my partner has been through in and out of hospital I think letting her go there was still the best choice. I would call 999 and let the ambulance crew guide you, but whatever you do I wish you well.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
That’s so difficult for you @Long journey ahead
Please do ring the Dr if you think it’s needed.
I had to get the doctor a couple of weeks ago because he was so weak. Doctor sent him straight to hospital because I threatened to leave if he didn't go. He discharged himself within a few hours. The doctor told me he cannot force him to stay as he has capacity to make his own choices . I feel like I am figting a losing battle which is very upsetting.
Thank you x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
@Long journey ahead maybe time to override what your husband thinks he wants and turn it into what he needs.. be strong.. phone 111
Please update this forum so we can continue to support you and at this difficult time..

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
@Long journey ahead maybe time to override what your husband thinks he wants and turn it into what he needs.. be strong.. phone 111
Please update this forum so we can continue to support you and at this difficult time..
I don't feel strong. Just very sad. Even if I could get an ambulance he wouldn't go. I really wish the doctor had the power to override his decision before it becomes a clinical emergency.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
please watch carefully the withdrawal of alcohol. it can lead to fits which my son had because he stopped the drink suddenly. i, myself went through withdrawals with morphine as i had to take pain patches off suddenly. its horrendous. even if they gave something to relax and help with withdrawal would be better.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
please watch carefully the withdrawal of alcohol. it can lead to fits which my son had because he stopped the drink suddenly. i, myself went through withdrawals with morphine as i had to take pain patches off suddenly. its horrendous. even if they gave something to relax and help with withdrawal would be better.
That's what I am worried about the ambulance may not get here in time. He asked the doctor for something last week but he refused him.
he hasn't eaten for a week now. His bloods are showing dehydration and malutrition along with high off levels

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
I contacted social services last week. They said they can't do anything against his wishes because the doctor said he had capacity. I hate that word.
as all people experience the pain and turmoil of caring for an alcoholic with alcohol related brain damage, we feel frustration and helplessness.