1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Korsakoff and curious stuttering symptom

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Kevinm100, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Kevinm100

Kevinm100 Registered User

Dec 19, 2014
    Wonder if anyone has experienced these symptoms. My brother (56) has Korsakoff's and starts to stutter very badly when he gets confused about an appointment almost like he is having a panic attack. It only lasts a few minutes then subsides. I searched the forums but can't find any examples of this intermittent behaviour.

2. kaycee30

kaycee30 Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    Hi, I believe that the amnesia associated with the Korsakoffs brings on speech problem/aphasia, due to the damage to the brain. It can be intermittent and almost seem like the person is intoxicated, but is a behaviour associated with the Korsakoffs.