Kidneys and dementia

Quantock

Dec 4, 2017
fil has mixed dementia (76 yrs young) and has had to have a blood test for borderline kidney levels. Is this another step in the dementia journey or not related? X

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad had mixed dementia and gradually his kidneys became less effective but I had the impression from his GP it was more age related...he died at 86...however the dementia impacted on his need or understanding to drink so his kidneys were under pressure and he had to be reminded and encouraged so in that sense it was dementia related.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes, I was surprised too when I was told my husband who is 84 had CKD ie chronic kidney disease. However it boils down to old kidneys not functioning as well as they used to.

He rarely drinks water but does drink a lot of tea and rarely any kind of alcohol. John is fond of fresh fruit and has a fair amount every day which should help.

Just old age I think.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Kidney function is also vital to clear drugs from the body. On top of which, some drugs can actually damage the kidneys, so it could be that the medics want to have baseline readings before starting new medication.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband has just turned 64 and was flagged up with damaged kidneys a few months ago.

In his case it has been caused by poor fluid intake - which in turn is due to the progression of dementia which makes it much harder for him to eat and drink enough, even with support.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
"Dementia-causing brain disease mostly in seniors and the elderly." <---- which suggests that there may be really rare cases in which younger people get dementia. I severely doubt it, though.
Im afraid that it is by no means unknown for younger people to get dementia
My OH was in his mid 50s when I noticed symptoms

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew