Kicked out of a care home phone in

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Call You and Yours: Have you or a relative had to find a new care home?
You and Yours
A record number of care home businesses failed last year. In 2017, 148 were declared insolvent - up 83 per cent on the previous year.
Have you, a relative or friend been forced to move on from a care home for any reason? How easy or difficult was that?
We want to hear your story.
Email youandyours@bbc.co.uk and don't forget to leave a phone number so we can call you back.
From 11 am on Tuesday 15th May call us on 03700 100444

Presenter: Winifred Robinson
Producer: Tara Holmes

I know people on here have had and are having this happen to them currently, so Radio 4, 12.15 tomorrow there's a phone in about it for anyone with first hand experience either because the home has closed or any other reason. I would suspect homes closing and homes kicking someone out for challenging behaviour are two different things when it comes to finding a new home.
Interesting care home closures were up last year by 83% due to insolvency when people on here are always talking about how profitable they are. If each home had 30 beds that's 4,440 beds lost in one year alone.
K

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
It's not my story to tell as my mother was in a different Home, but this past year two friends have had to move their relatives because of closure of Homes. One Home closed very suddenly, literally overnight and residents were moved with just bin bags for their pssessions. That made the local papers.
The other friend had in fact only just placed his mother in the Home with great reluctance after a lot of research to find the right Home. in that case I'm fairly sure the Home knew they would be declaring themselves insolvent, so why did they accept her?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
in that case I'm fairly sure the Home knew they would be declaring themselves insolvent, so why did they accept her?

I assume for the same reason as any other potentially failing business takes on new clients: in the hope that they can keep the business going. Always assuming that the person doing the intake actually knew the business was failing, which isn't always a given.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Today's episode of BBC Radio 4's 'You and Yours' programme today was about care homes - in particular having to move from one care home to another, but also general discussion. This link should take you to the episode for anyone who wants to listen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2gsgt