Key Safe Experience

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Hello Everyone, our mum has recently gone into hospital and had a partial hip replacement after falling down last few steps of our stairs. She is in early stage of Alzheimers and so far everything seems to have gone well (although the surgery was done quickly everything else seemed to grind to a halt over Christmas). She has now been moved from surgical ward to rehabilitation ward and we spoke to social services today about an enablement package on her return home.

SS mentioned a Key Safe which we had not heard of before. We understand it is secure and is attached to a wall outside the property. We have said to go ahead with this but SS did say to us if they put the order in it cannot be cancelled so we needed to be as sure as we could be about saying yes. We thought we would go ahead with it as SS said that it would most likely be different people who would be coming to the house to help mum and we were not sure how mum would feel about different faces visiting whether this would confuse her.

We were just wondering if any of you have experience of this key safe and whether it is possible if you don't like how it works whether you can stop using it as I am now wondering whether it would be taking the decision away from mom as to who she lets into her house, although we all live together myself and my sister work reduced hours one of us in the morning the other in the afternoon. For instance you sometimes hear how carers cannot get into a property as the person living there wont let them in, if you have a key safe would they just let themselves in regardless.

Many Thanks

I hope this thread has not been too wordy its just that we have never had to have anyone come into the house before as mum has up to now been fairly capable and mobile.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You can buy key safes- a lot cheaper than having SS fit one for you

( screwfix for one, do them)

The only people that will be able to access the key , are folk you give the code for.

Most carers understand the use whist it might be appropriate for the first thing in the mornig carer o use it, maybe later ones could knock and wait for mum to answer for a start

http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5-key-combination-key-safe/77908

Worked perfectly for us/mum

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There is only one police approved key safe
https://keysafe.co.uk/
(Disclaimer - no connection)
All others can easily be forced.

Also

The thumbwheel type can easily be cracked by careful rotation of the wheels.

The pushbutton type do not take the order of the digits into account, eg a code of 3421 will be opened by 2413, add to this that the four buttons used will soon show signs of use and all the intruder has to do is push the four worn buttons in any order.The one linked takes the order into account and is specially shaped to avoid the wear showing.

Last edited:

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
We have a keysafe, supplied and fitted by the local council, via SS, at no cost. The only people that know the code are MECS (for her fall alarm) and the company that supply her carers and us, of course. If an emergency arises ie she needs an ambulance, the paramedics can also access the code via SS. Hope this helps.

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
Keysafe

My mother has the screwfix type keysafe, and so do I. I'm sure they can be broken into eventually with tools, but not as easily as a front door, so that's not really a problem.

You can re-program the numbers in seconds, so for instance if you want to give someone access for one day, change the number to a temporary one, let them use it, then change it back. At mum's Extra Care home about half the residents have these fitted.

Robin

(no connection to Screwfix - I think you can buy them cheaper at Argos etc)

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
My mum is dead against a key safe. I think she thinks it makes her vulnerable .... So instead she leaves the door unlocked. I went round today to find their garage door wide open, and internal garage door wide open and the back door propped open. This was while my mum was in bed having a nap and their prescriptions arrived and my dad "answered " the door. Arghhhhhhhh

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
There is only one police approved key safe
https://keysafe.co.uk/
(Disclaimer - no connection)
All others can easily be forced.

Also

The thumbwheel type can easily be cracked by careful rotation of the wheels.

The pushbutton type do not take the order of the digits into account, eg a code of 3421 will be opened by 2413, add to this that the four buttons used will soon show signs of use and all the intruder has to do is push the four worn buttons in any order.The one linked takes the order into account and is specially shaped to avoid the wear showing.

This is the type we had for mum. It was very sturdy and was also fitted with special screws so it couldn't be removed from the wall with any standard tools. Because it was police approved, the house insurance company were happy also; I'd recommend you check with your insurers if they have any rules about this.

Fitting was arranged by the local Carelink organisation as part of the set-up of mum's home alarm system(with button on wrist bracelet to push if help needed). It was the most useful part of the system as sadly mum couldn't remember how to press the button. Only the care agency and the Carelink people knew the combination, and it enabled the carer to get in and call for help when she found mum on the bathroom floor. Far better than having the emergency services break the door which would have been the only other alternative.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Mum had one at it was invaluable. Carers always knocked the door but if mum wouldn't or couldn't let them in they would use the key. (She used to lock the door and remove the key - then couldn't see it)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We've had ours for years. It was first put in by SS for my mum, who lived with us. The agency carers used it. Now my husband's carers use it and the community alarm people can use it if necessary.

danncus

Mar 8, 2015
Hi I have experience on both sides (Close relative requiring a keysafe & a Licensed Locksmith for over 20 years)
As has been said, there are many keysafes available. some are terrible, some excellent! there is only one which I am prepared to fit supra C500

These can be bought over the internet, which is fine. I would add location and quality on installation is vital! please use the supplied fixings (special screwdriver required) and make sure the masonry drill is of the correct size.

thanks

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
We were offered a keysafe when my husband was discharged from hospital. At the time we were midway through building works to provide a downstairs WC and had no front door so it was fitted on our back door and holds the backdoor key. I have to say I am glad it is there as it is less of an advertisement that there is someone vulnerable at the property although we are now at the stage where my husband cannot be left alone at all.
I find it gives me peace of mind. For example, if I was in a traffic accident when my husband was at day care at least the house would be accessible and the contingency plan could be enacted. The code is listed on the contingency plan. They would at least be able to get in to access his clothes and medication.
Also, I did on one occasion lock the two of us out and have to say I was minutes away from breaking a window when I remembered the key safe. I blame the stresses of caring
Tre

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheree.fielder1