Key Safe Box. Insurance Implications?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Lots of mentions on here lately & Will be discussed on R4 You & Yours tomorrow 12.15. ☺

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Thanks I'm going to record the programme as I am going out tomorrow.

I use a key safe if I go out before my OHs support worker arrives. The support worker and my son are the only people that know the code and I only put the key in the safe before I leave.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Apologises if anyone listened to this on account of my post and lost valuable seconds of their life:(

It was mainly to do with a key safe used for car keys and left on the car. Insurance company in the case refused to pay.

About 30 seconds was on house keys and the only way to be sure if your insurance company allows them is to ask or read through the T&C's. Apparently some want them hidden from view and some want the key taken out if not needed.

So no definitive answer I am afraid.

Hope this doesn't break forum rules but Mom is with Direct Line and I have just spoken to them. They have no restrictions unless your contents sum is on the high side. The call operator had look in the under writers policy terms to find that information.

:)

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Apologises if anyone listened to this on account of my post and lost valuable seconds of their life:(

It was mainly to do with a key safe used for car keys and left on the car. Insurance company in the case refused to pay.

About 30 seconds was on house keys and the only way to be sure if your insurance company allows them is to ask or read through the T&C's. Apparently some want them hidden from view and some want the key taken out if not needed.

So no definitive answer I am afraid.

Hope this doesn't break forum rules but Mom is with Direct Line and I have just spoken to them. They have no restrictions unless your contents sum is on the high side. The call operator had look in the under writers policy terms to find that information.

:)

Our bungalow is insured with LV along with 8 wider family houses within 2 miles of each other.
LV said it was ok to have key safes.
We suddenly thought as none of us were disabled why not store the keys in the safes at the house of another relative.
We phoned LV and they did agree to this.
The safe keys to my house are just over a mile away.

William

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
It was a worthwhile point Pete R. I'm uncomfortable about my Mum's key safe though we couldn't manage without it. I have to keep reminding myself that its safer than her trying to answer the door by herself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976