key fob door lock

tchuss

Apr 2, 2015
All information I read about door locks is to keep people with alzheimers from getting out of their home. My problem is totally different.
My mother has onset alzheimers and keeps herself occupied daily by taking the same route into her nearby town centre to take part in activities. The problem I have is that her alzheimers has affected her spatial awareness and she can no longer easily put her key in a door lock to get back in her home - she often has the keyfob in her hand to try, or the key upside down.
I am looking for something that would use a keyfob to enter the house and from the inside either use the keyfob again or push a button. The door I wish to put this on is a wooden patio door, which luckily does not swing shut and close automatically.
Has anybody had the same sort of problem and found a solution??

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
An RFID proximity key fob and reader would do what you want.

You can keep the same lock, the system works by releasing the keep on the door frame.

>>>THESE <<< are examples for illustration, any good locksmith should be able to supply and fit.

EDIT
Just read "The door I wish to put this on is a wooden patio door", if this is a sliding door there will be far fewer products available.

Last edited:

tchuss

Apr 2, 2015
key fob

Thank you for your help - it isn't a sliding door.
There are so many to choose from.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A locksmith should be able to help you decide, they will most likely have a preferred supplier. You could also incorporate an outside keypad for use instead of a keysafe if this ever becomes necessary, or it could be added at a later date.