Key Carer (nursing home)

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi All,

Does anyone know if it is a legal obligation to have a Key Carer assigned to a resident in a nursing care home? Or is it just recommended? I'm being told by a nursing home that this is not a requirement and they do not believe in the system. I disagree and have seen it working well in many homes as you have a single point of contact who is responsible the resident care. More focused and more individual.

What is the legal responsibility of a home?

thanks
Charlie

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
key worker

My husband had a so called key worker. i think it is a good idea if it works but his key person was just not interested and sometimes raised her eyes to the ceiling when i asked certain things of her ,like could you please make him more comfortable when he had slumped in his chair or in bed. The outcome from this home was he developed a pressure sore on his posterior which the next nursing home said was through him sitting all day in the same position.

Cynthia x x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Have to say Lionel does not have a 'key carer'.

However all the senior staff are very approachable, and more than willing to dicuss anything with me. Have made a point of cultivating the manager also.

Feel all homes must be different. Obviously this is something that has worked for you in the past. Hope you get something sorted to your satisfaction.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My mother had a Key Worker in the unsatisfactory home, but no Key Worker in the brilliant home.

Just goes to show the paperwork doesn`t always give the true story.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't believe there's a legal requirement for such. What would concern me is the "blanket statement". I can see advantages and disadvantages to both systems, but "we don't believe" in such and such shows a certain lack of sensitivity to your concerns.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The excellent home my mother was in believed every worker should be a Key Worker, ie, try to build a relationship with all residents, in the individual units in which they worked.

This system made it so much easier in cases of staff absenteeism or staff turnover.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Mum doesn't have a key worker, but everything is recorded in writing in the residents care plan, by the day and night staff, which is available to my brother and me anytime we want a full report about mum.

The system seems to work well, also they telephone us to report any changes, or concerns, which is comforting to know. So personally I dont think it matters what system they employ, as long as it works and you are happy with it.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
key worker

hi charlie.i work in a care home and am a key worker for 12 out of 40 residents.being a key worker doesn't mean we only focus on our own designated residents.However we do have responsibilities for updating care plans and if there is a change in care needs the appropriate key worker is informed.To be a key worker and be actively involved with particular residents is a hard task especially if you only work part time as i do and still have 12 residents.Where i work we also have personal carers who have more time to interact with their residents and ensure they are bathed regularly,nails cleaned,oral hygiene maintained and generally making sure their clothes are clean and wardrobes and drawers tidy and also that they have toiletries where necessary.I do think key workers play an important role in a care setting but do all others who take care of residents.In my experience approaching the home manager is probably a waste of time as they have no active role in hands on care for the residents in their home.hope it helps.had a bit of a rant there dint i!take care elainex

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
In my experience approaching the home manager is probably a waste of time as they have no active role in hands on care for the residents in their home

Sorry elaine, I stand by my comments about the manager. In Lionel's care home the manager is very 'hands on', as in the other 2 homes run by this group.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Sorry connie didn't mean to offend.I just said what i feel about my manager really.bums in beds thats her problem.doesn't matter to her if we can meet their needs.I don't work in a bad home just got a crazy boss.sorry again.elaine

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Elaine, no apologies needed. We both had an opinion, based on our own circumstances.

Thanks for your input anyway, you see the situation from both sides.
Glad the home you work in is a good one. We only ever hear about the negatives.

Take care now, love,

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
thanks everyone for posting their experience and advice.

It seems that it is not a legal requirement, but some homes could benefit from the system. A few homes do just as well without it as pointed out.

This home would sure benefit from the system as some residents get and feel a bit isolated as the manage is a bit officious and unapproachable particulary on a busy day. This just highlights some of the issues we've been having and has prompted me to address them again.