KEPPRA

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Hospital have but mum on 500mg of keppra and sent her back to the care home now she always asleep and stopped Eating hospital thinks she suffers from elliptic fits I know my mum not got long but I would like to get her back to at least she some what conscious

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Doing a quick Google indicates that sleepiness is a common side effect of Keppra. However, it would appear that lower doses are available. Would it be worth talking to your mum’s Doctor to see if a lower dose might still control the epilepsy while reducing the side effect?
This is a difficult time for you and I wish you all the best.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This can be a bit of a catch 22 situation as epileptic seizures themselves can make you sleepy.
It can take a few weeks to adjust to the sleepiness, but my OH takes 1,500mg of Keppra (which I think is the maximum dose) and it does not make him unduly sleepy. I do realise that as he is almost certainly bigger than your mum it will have less of an affect on him than it would on your mum if she were taking that dose, but I would still give it a couple of weeks and see if she improves. If not, yes, go back to her doctor - especially if her eating doesnt improve.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Hi Jelba.

I think they are both right.

It is probably likely that this is a side effect of the drug but sometimes the side effects improve over time.

If she is a small lady it could just be that the dose is too big or increased too quickly. Check with her GP about your concerns.

Ask the question whether she needs to be on medication for seizures. If they are not too frequent maybe accepting that she will have a few seizures a year is a reasonable compromise.

I assume she is not a bus driver?:)