Keeping House

Sue46

Aug 11, 2015
My sister is 49 and has been having tests for Ftd - I am worried that her house will be sold to fund care. I would rather she could spend this money on living what few years she would have if this diagnosis is correct as this disease is very fast moving. Does anyone have any ideas on who to ask. My mum lives alone next door to my sister who also lives alone.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My sister is 49 and has been having tests for Ftd - I am worried that her house will be sold to fund care. I would rather she could spend this money on living what few years she would have if this diagnosis is correct as this disease is very fast moving. Does anyone have any ideas on who to ask. My mum lives alone next door to my sister who also lives alone.

Hi Sue, welcome to TP
If she lives in the house alone then ultimately it may have to be sold, however, it's not that simple.
If she is alone then she needs to plan her decline, she needs to give Power Of Attorney (POA) to someone (or more than one person) she trusts and decide with them how she wants things done.
If you don't engage with Social Services they won't come looking for you unless something goes badly wrong in which case they have to look into the situation.
A plan for example might be she gives POA to say you and a close friend or another relative so that when you decide the time has come you get her a place in a care home (which one may be a decision she can be involved in now) then you can sell the house and pay for her care.
It's really quite a complicated issue but well managed she could be in a good home until the money runs out and the council get involved. It's your first post so have a read around and you have a lot to learn.
Tell Try telling this "if this diagnosis is correct as this disease is very fast moving" to some people who post on here and were diagnosed over 15 years age and can still work a computer and type some very coherent messages.
Welcome to the club
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Sue. Im afraid that I am somewhat bemused by your question. What does it matter to you whether or not her house is sold to cover any care home fees? And when you say " I would rather she could spend this money on living what few years she would have" what sort of things do you have in mind?
People with dementia do not automatically go into a CH - they only go into one if they are unable to cope with living at home, or no-one else is able to look after them. Dementia is a dreadful disease that means that they are able to do less and less and need more and more care as time goes by.