Just wondering.......

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
I read her TP'ers posts on here and see that their respective sufferers seem to have more than 'just' the dementia issues. E.g. diabetes, stroke,epilepsy etc etc. My husband is as healthy as an ox, with only the dementia to struggle with.
Is this common, or do these other conditions come as the dementia progresses. He is in care now due to violence issues, but I wonder what the prognosis is. The medical staff don't seem to know how long he will be healthy, although he does shuffle now instead of the confident gait he used to have.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My Mum was generally healthy until 3 days before she died and I believe she would have recovered from her chest infection even then if the hospital had not left her alone in a cold room with no hydration and no antibiotics for 7 hours and then withdrawn everything telling me that she wasn't responding to treatment!!! only when I bought the medical notes did i find the truth. She was 91 nearly 92, so who knows when death comes knocking? None of us do.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband has had Alzheimer's for 10 years and no other medical conditions at all.

Three weeks ago he was admitted to hospital after becoming unresponsive and loosing consciousness. He has been diagnosed with heart failure.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't think the Alzheimer's has anything to do with other illnesses nor they AD. My mother is also as healthy as a horse. She has developed atrial fibrillation, which is known to happen as one gets older, but that's her only illness other than her Alzheimer's. I think these other conditions may develop because of aging.

As for your husband's shuffling gait, has he been put on any anti-psychotics since he's been in care? They can cause a change in gait. My mother was on them for years because of her violence and agitation.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My father is 94 and has had AD for at least 10 years.He is no longer mobile following a hip fracture but is otherwise remarkably healthy although very frail and terribly thin.Heart,lungs,kidneys all working fine.Not sure if it's a blessing or a curse.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello di my hubby is very bodily fit, the CT scan did show Vascular dementia, which could course a stroke.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
My mum is 77 but she has better physical health than people a couple of decades younger than her. Even when she had pneumonia a couple of years ago, she walked into the A&E and then came out again with a prescription. It didn't slow her down at all.

Last edited:

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
Thanks everyone:)

It's not that I wish my husband any ill health, but it's just one of those things I think about when reading other TP'ers threads. He is only 67:(

Di