Just when you think its safe......

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Well I posted this morning complaining about other half blowing constantly well past week have had what you would call normal and I have enjoyed it to the point I breathed a sigh of relief that we were over the worse well stupid me (not that a disaster has happened). Other half is so anxious today trying to escape from the moving car (thankfully he was in the back with child locks on). Why I don't know. His medication has been stripped down to memantine, queintipine and mirtzipine. Is this the start of it all again or am I just being paranoid. Since the seizures he has been more reliant on us to do things like dressing, putting lights on directing him to toilet. His mood has been ok in that he seems content, hungry more. He is eating his medication without fuss although he is off coffee/tea and minimum water passes his lips. Urine colour is fine so I don't think he has a uti. However today he is just so much more anxious and worried about being left (which he has not been since the seizure) The cpn suggested if he showed signs of agitation give him half a lorazapam but I am not so keen, last time half turned into one and then 3 times a day then I was asked to wean him off the effects of which I thought were a distant memory. Complaining about nothing I hope (sometimes I think I jinx myself when things are going well.).........For an educated person my literacy is awful please excuse.....

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Well I posted this morning complaining about other half blowing constantly well past week have had what you would call normal and I have enjoyed it to the point I breathed a sigh of relief that we were over the worse well stupid me (not that a disaster has happened). Other half is so anxious today trying to escape from the moving car (thankfully he was in the back with child locks on). Why I don't know. His medication has been stripped down to memantine, queintipine and mirtzipine. Is this the start of it all again or am I just being paranoid. Since the seizures he has been more reliant on us to do things like dressing, putting lights on directing him to toilet. His mood has been ok in that he seems content, hungry more. He is eating his medication without fuss although he is off coffee/tea and minimum water passes his lips. Urine colour is fine so I don't think he has a uti. However today he is just so much more anxious and worried about being left (which he has not been since the seizure) The cpn suggested if he showed signs of agitation give him half a lorazapam but I am not so keen, last time half turned into one and then 3 times a day then I was asked to wean him off the effects of which I thought were a distant memory. Complaining about nothing I hope (sometimes I think I jinx myself when things are going well.).........For an educated person my literacy is awful please excuse.....

You are not complaining. I don't know what cpn means. Am assuming a doctor. If so I would give lorazepam. It may help.

Aisling (Ireland)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Keegan2
I read your other post and was so pleased for you all - good to have a calm period

maybe today is just a blip - not unusual for there to be blips along the way

I know that with dad, if he starts on an agitation/anxiety spiral it's best to give some something as soon as possible to just take the edge off and let him calm - if he's left he will wind himself up and then it's much more difficult to get him to take meds and can mean waiting it out until he wears himself out, which is awful for him and distressing for those around him
you know your OH best, but please consider the cpn's advice and give him a low dose - I doubt you'll have problems as before as you are so much more in the know now - and if it helps keep the positive flow going, it's worth it for him and for you

and sorry no real idea about the blowing - agree with trying chewing, as sounds like a habit he's gotten into (am assuming not a problem about trapped wind? dad got hiccups and such like when constipated! or maybe starting a UTI, worth getting checked?)

Hi Aisling cpn = community psychiatric nurse so specifically trained - the ones I've come across are pretty clued up - and they are able to deal with meds

Last edited:

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
It's not uncommon for a UTI to be present with no symptoms anyone can detect outwardly...then it is called a "silent UTI". The only way to be sure is to have urine tested.

If his anxiety races when he is in the car, could you plan a low dose around such trips, or have him on fewer of them?

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for your support. Did not get much sleep last night. Really tired this morning. Could not get hold off the cpn yesterday will try again today. Thanks for the explanation Shedrech you have wonderful way with words......

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope things are better for you today, Keegan. Did you manage to get any advice from cpn? xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Unfortunately the medicine was short lived, it was giving other half an unwanted side effect in the form of erections lasting a few hours at a time. I tried to ignore it thinking it would pass but 4 days on it was the same story every morning. Doctor at the memory clinic rang me back and said stop the quenitipine immediately so other half has now gone back to haloperidol 1.5 mg tablet cut in half given morning and night. This morning he was all over the shop upset and very aggressive with my eldest stepson probably due to the withdrawal of the medicine and effect of new one. He has been ok since. So the journey continues on finding the right medicine....thanks for listening....

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:( oh dear. I am sorry. I hope they can find something that works, without the side effects.

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Just realizing the joy of getting through another day. Did not get much sleep at all last night other half was up and down and very restless. The days are passing by with one worrying about how we will get through the day and night, sleep no sleep no one knows the answer till the morning then a new day begins with the old and maybe some new things to worry about which are totally out of our control. My situation is nowhere near some of the ones I have read about and I hope and pray for the future that the miracle cure is found...........

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, keegan. I well remember that feeling of relief that another day had been safely gotten through! And each day passing in a constant state of worry and anxiety until the "safety " of another day passed is reached - and it begins again. Like a hamster on a wheel. Constantly going, getting nowhere.
I hope you have a good night's sleep tonight, anyway. xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi keegan2
don't know what else to say
except
am thinking of you and sending waves of yawns and weights of heavy eyes in the hope that you'll all sail away to the land of nod tonight

(my ancestors actually lived there, for real - honest)

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Hi keegan2
don't know what else to say
except
am thinking of you and sending waves of yawns and weights of heavy eyes in the hope that you'll all sail away to the land of nod tonight

(my ancestors actually lived there, for real - honest)

You will pleased to hear the sleep fairy came to visit last night and we had a peaceful sleep. Your name sounds like something from far away.

As I said the roulette wheel is spinning don't know where it will fall tonight (think I'll keep my lucky knickers on)......

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
You will pleased to hear the sleep fairy came to visit last night and we had a peaceful sleep. Your name sounds like something from far away.

As I said the roulette wheel is spinning don't know where it will fall tonight (think I'll keep my lucky knickers on)......

It's such a joy, isn't it, when you get a good, peaceful night of sleep. :) How little we ask for. Let's hope you get another good one tonight xxx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Keegan2
I hope the fairy visits again tonight :)

my name is from my great great grandfather - it's a variant spelling - my dad used to tell me a rhyme about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo - it's from the Bible
if you google images of Land of Nod you'll find a signpost (TRUE) - it's near Market Weighton in East Yorkshire - and is at the end of a long lane which feels to be leading to nowhere - some of the names of farms in that area are fascinating
not so exotic after all ;)

snow flurries here - keep warm

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Keegan2

my name is from my great great grandfather - it's a variant spelling - my dad used to tell me a rhyme about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo - it's from the Bible
if you google images of Land of Nod you'll find a signpost (TRUE) - it's near Market Weighton in East Yorkshire - and is at the end of a long lane which feels to be leading to nowhere - some of the names of farms in that area are fascinating

How interesting - I wondered if you had chosen the name for any reason, or if it was a compilation of names or something.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi Keegan2

Louis Armstrong used to sing the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo - magical! But I never knew "Land of Nod" was an actual place. How interesting. :)