Just wanted to share some good news

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just wanted to share with you all some good news .

Mum went to visit Social services day center , as she been offered 2 days so with the other 2 days she go to AZ day-center she have 4 days .

and if all go OK she get one extra day so that make it Monday - Friday she be at day center .

When she went to SS day-center to day , she was Ok only because she saw another lady from AZ day-center that also go to both day-center .

they told me that the opening came up for mum to go to SS day-center , because another lady who use to go 7 day's , This lady lived alone for a long time and her daughter lived very far away . the time came that the lady daughter , needed to put her mother in to a care home near her .

I never new they had this purpose build day center in my area , taken me 5 years of caring for my mother to reach my Goal in getting mum in a full time day-center , keeping her out of care home for as long as possible .

Only when I thought thats it can't do it any more :( so ask SS to help me look for care home , that they turn up with this idea , that I wanted all along .

I can finally get a life :D . Most wried thing is I don't know what I want to do , feel like I have been indoctrinated these past 5 year with caring for my mother , that O lost part of myself , so am having lots of what feel like downloaded memories , of before caring for my mother and they feel good .

Feel like celebrating with tear's of joy & relief .

Mind you I do have a bit of a challenge as mum , gets very confused with trying to understand the two different day center & does not want to go to both Just stay in now , tell me she does not like this house we move to , so wants to move back to other flat, I take what she is saying as she feeling insecure .

I do find not giving my mother to much information , taking one day at the time with her when telling her anything , help her / me more .

I would never of really understood this , if I never came across TP , so I thanks you all for sharing xx

Last edited:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Margarita, that is such good news. You do so well by your mum - I take my hat off to you.
Give yourself time to decide what you want for your future - just enjoy the new found space that you will have.
Love Helen

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Great news, Maggie. Things are really coming together for you at last. All that and a new bike too!:)

Enjoy your freedom, you deserve it.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Lovely, Margarita, after all the years of caring, some free time for you.

There`s no hurry to fill your days, just relax and give yourself time to choose.

What a great position to be in.

I hope your mother enjoys the day centres and soon accepts the two different ones. My mother went every day and it was such a relief.

Love xx

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Margarita

I really hope that you enjoy your 'ME TIME', whatever you do with it.
It becomes more important, when you are a carer, doesn;t it. hark at me , the expert now, after only 9 months,
I admire your spirit and love for your mum and kids.
Hats off to you.

Take Care Bye for now
Janetruth x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
thank you all

My mother went every day and it was such a relief.

really , so you understand yes relief does come into it , my sound wried feel like swimming in clear water , must be because swimming clclying is a hobble of mine that I gave up , now I can get back in to it , with out any hurdles in front of me .

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just read your news - great for you. Hope you c an find some good time for yourself now - well deserved.

Take care (not very 'free' myself at the moment so envy you!!!!!!)
Best wishes Beckyjan

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Margarita, well done you! So pleased you have got a bit more time for yourself. Whatever you choose to do, try to do it with other people, because the caring role makes us all very isolated and it's nice to meet other people who share the same interests. Something unconnected with Alzheimer's so that you can have a complete change of focus for an hour or two and give that excellent brain of yours a treat. Maybe a part-time class in something or other? See what the local library has got to offer?. Just a thought.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Magarita

Great news, enjoy your time off, whatever you decide to do with it.

I think I could have coped longer with my parents if they had only settled at day centre and we could have had 5 days a week, but unfortunately they didn't.

You are doing a great job looking after your Mother. I wish I had been as capable,

Alfjess

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Great news Maggie! I hope your Mum is very happy. Please take some time for yourself and just RELAX for a change!!
Wonderful to hear some good news!

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Great news indeed

Good things do come to those that wait, and you do deserve it Margarita, you are a wonderful daughter and so supportive here at TP. Enjoy your days and I am sure mum will enjoy hers too,maybe not the effort involved in preparation but once she is there she will be fine. Taffy.:)

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Pleased for you

Maggie,

I'm so pleased for you. You deserve this well earned time to yourself! One step at a time though - your mind will no doubt be racing with all the things you will be thinking of doing. I agree with others comments, have some time to relax and do those fun things you having been missing. Your mind will be much more susceptable to new ideas when it is refreshed. There are lots of opportunities for you out there, its great to hear that you will now be able to grab on to them. Just take it easy to start though, you may feel an urge to fill your day very quickly, given you are already used to having a challenging day, but do take it slowly to start and make sure you give yourself time to re-charge those batteries. Visiting friends and enjoying yourself in the company of others would be a great start.

I really am happy for you. Thank you for sharing.

I look forward to hearing about your new found freedom!

All the very best.

Alison
x

hawaii50

Hi Margarita
Just catching up with all the threads again - so very happy for you and hope that your mum settles into her new routine quickly.
All this new found freedom will feel quite strange for you I am sure but please enjoy it. Mum has only been in the nursing home for a day now and this afternoon I am at home and it is slowly dawning on me that I can go out it I want to!! My painful jaw is making that difficult but just the thought that I can go out if I want is quite overwhelming!!
Take care and enjoy some well deserved rest and recreation.
Elspeth

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thank you all so much for your words of support .

I went along to my local library that was close , wanting to pick up a application for for what is called a life style card so I can use the local authority gym swimming center at a cheaper rate then fall of my bike on the way back home , because the handle bar was not tighten up right , so the handle bar went one way , while the wheel went the other way and I landed on my bum on the bike in the road .

Was Ok bit :eek: few people in cars ask me if I was OK and the builder men that where fixing up a house , offered to tighten up the hand break, so they tighten my the handle bars & the bike was OK for me to ride home

I just rush to much

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ah Margarita, I do hope you are all right.

I know how embarrassing it is to fall, but it also shakes you up and gives you a big shock. I hope it wasn`t too busy a road, you could have had a nasty accident.

You need to stop rushing too much, you can calm down now.

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I hope it wasn`t too busy a road

all I was thinking hope my bike OK .

It did not look busy , so that is why I was surprise that people was asking me in they car if I was OK , thinking about it now it was a bit of a shock . lucky I have a lot of fat on my bum I just bounce on the bike with my bum when bike drop :)

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Maggie,

Glad you have found care for your Mum 5 days a week. You must be exhausted and well in need of a break.

But sorry you fell off your bike. At least people came to your rescue. My sister fell and broke her arm (badly - needed 2 operations- bone through the skin etc. :eek: ) last October and nobody came to help. She couldn't get up as she had to hold her bad hand with her good hand to stop it falling off. It was on a car park and a woman sat in her car totally ignored her and then drove off!! Fortunately she managed to reach her phone, which had gone flying, with her foot and ring me for help.

I shall tell her next time to fall when there are big strong builders around to help. :D

Sue

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Bin men are good, too! They were wonderful when John fell last week.

Have a hot bath and a rest now, Maggie, you'll probably be very stiff tomorrow.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream