Just thought you'd like to know

foxy

Mar 4, 2008
london
hi
As a new member I have read most of the threads with great interest. I can identify with most of the problems everyone has encounted. At the weekend my mum was admitted to hospital with yet another uti, away with the fairies, dehydrated etc. etc. The doctor asked the same silly questions about name, age, date of birth all of which were answered with the same random words. The final question was 'who is on the throne of England' a quick and clear response 'MY MUM'

Just gotta love her
Foxy

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello and welcome to TP,

I hope that your mum gets over the UTI real soon.

foxy said:
The final question was 'who is on the throne of England' a quick and clear response 'MY MUM'

You do have to love them.... HEY! :) You have to see some humour in all this misery if you didn't how could you cope and face it....day in day out. Wishing a speedy recovery for your mum. Take Care, Love Taffy.

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Eheheheh.....your mum got it right! Its nice you can laugh. I hope she gets over her UTI quickly. Get her swigging the cranberry juice pronto! Best wishes, Zoe x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Foxy, welcome to TP. I hope you find lots of support here.

I do hope your mum recovers quickly from her UTI. You never know when she'll have to succeed to the throne!:D

Love,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Does that mean we should be calling you "Princess Foxy?" :D:D

Hope your MUm's UTI is better - it does seem to knock them around "something fierce" - doesn't it?

foxy

Mar 4, 2008
london
Thanks for hoping mum's uti gets better but nothing is ever simple. Turns out it's not a uti, but she has an infection somewhere!!!!!!!! That seems to be responding to antibiotics but her kidneys are failing. She actually looks really well, laughing and in really good spirits, But unless they can get the fluids into her (she keeps pulling the line out) who knows!!! Fingers and everything else crossed.

Foxy

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Foxy,

Our Mum also pulled every line out she could get to - she also kept getting very dehydrated and this was affecting her kidneys too.

In the end she was restrained /slightly sedated - very very discretely- at night - with our full permission so that at least when she was asleep the drip could work.

One of the nurses mumbled about human rights etc but we took the view that our Mum would have been horrified at what she was doing re the line if she had "been of sound mind" - so we had to make the decisions for her at that time - - she was incapable of making a reasoned decision or giving "informed consent". (dehydration also caused her confusion to become worse temporarily)

After about 24 hours the line wasn't needed anymore - it had worked that fast. See if there's anything the hospital can do for you.

Regards
Germain

117katie

Dear Foxy and Germain

Wonder how many "problems" are attributed to UTIs? And wonder then how many UTIs were not responsible for the "problems"?

Call me a cynic, as I know many of you may, but it strikes me that the UTI-route is becoming the equivalent of "have no idea what the problem may be, but the only thing I can think of is a UTI".

Ok, am hugely cynical about this UTI "diagnosis pending sample-testing". It is not fair on those of us who are left wondering what ... whether ... if ... how ....

Nobody ever says to us: well, it may be as a result of the cocktail of medications that he/she is now on, or even the inter-action between all of those meds. You only have to Google this or the other medication to discover that it MAY - and I stress the word MAY - cause dehydration, or ... or ... or ...

Or even, well we can't be bothered to sit with her/him and encourage her/him to take sufficient fluids and nourishment and care ... CARE? Oh dear! Sorry, I used a rude word.

And when Germain says "our Mum would have been horrified at what she was doing re the line if she had "been of sound mind" - so we had to make the decisions for her at that time" -- -- -- sounds so familiar, cos had same problem too, and responded with same thinking. She pulled out each and every tube/line ... well, she would, wouldn't she? Never having had tubes shoved up there and down there and .... help, me and us, and HER. But they couldn't ... because a tube to them was nuffink! But a tube to her was .... GET OUT OF HERE! WHAT'S THIS DOING UP/DOWN/INSIDE/OUT.

And, Foxy, if "She actually looks really well, laughing and in really good spirits" then you are doing one heck of a good job! So breathe a sigh of relief ... what more could you ask as a response today or yesterday or tomorrow?

How are you doing, Germain?

Take care
Katie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman