Just thought I'd share

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
My MILs anxiety levels have been increasing over the last three years till they were off the scale, she has been on a 50mg sertraline tablet for something like the last two years. I spoke to the gp a few weeks ago & he upped it to a 100mg tablet. She has now been on it just over a week & my OH went to see her yesterday & he said it was the best visit he has had in years.
I see her almost daily & had noticed that she seemed a fair bit calmer but she does tend to behave differently for her son than she does for me. The confusion & repetition are just the same of course but don't seem to bother her as much.

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
I'm on here because my MIL has mixed dementia. thankfully no signs of anxiety / agitation yet.

My father passed away almost 2 years ago now. He had mixed dementia and terrible periods of terror/anxiety/agitation & we fought so hard for something to calm him down, eventually getting something when it was too late for him :(

My sister & I are now coping with my Mother who is terribly lonely without him. Everything is a worry to her, little things like what the neighbours are doing, and how long her grass is. She is completely capable of living independently but all the little things are getting her down and she says she can't cope.

I wonder if she could be prescribed sertraline or similar just to up her mood, bring her to a calmer happier place but how would I go about it? I have discussed it with her but she just dismisses the idea saying it wouldn't make any difference.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I'm on here because my MIL has mixed dementia. thankfully no signs of anxiety / agitation yet.

My father passed away almost 2 years ago now. He had mixed dementia and terrible periods of terror/anxiety/agitation & we fought so hard for something to calm him down, eventually getting something when it was too late for him :(

My sister & I are now coping with my Mother who is terribly lonely without him. Everything is a worry to her, little things like what the neighbours are doing, and how long her grass is. She is completely capable of living independently but all the little things are getting her down and she says she can't cope.

I wonder if she could be prescribed sertraline or similar just to up her mood, bring her to a calmer happier place but how would I go about it? I have discussed it with her but she just dismisses the idea saying it wouldn't make any difference.

MIL is a born worrier but as I said it was just getting worse & worse. I took her to the gp 2+ years ago, this time I was thinking of going down the anti anxiety route but didn't want her doped up. It was the pharmacist who suggested upping her sertraline & I asked the gp & he readily agreed. So glad I did.

Maybe you just need to go with her & explain if she'll let you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa