• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Just lost my dad

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
People with dementia often go quite suddenly in the end and an infection/anaesthetic/pain will often rapidly progess dementia. My mum fell and broke her hip. It was repaired and at forst she seemed to be recovering well, but it propelled her quite suddenly to End of Life and a few weeks later she passed away

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
People with dementia often go quite suddenly in the end and an infection/anaesthetic/pain will often rapidly progess dementia. My mum fell and broke her hip. It was repaired and at forst she seemed to be recovering well, but it propelled her quite suddenly to End of Life and a few weeks later she passed away
My dad got Covid In December. Yet the week before he was still working with me at the age of 87. He went to hospital and we are told the Covid sped up the dementia and this is what I’m struggling to understand. 🤷‍♂️

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My dad got Covid In December. Yet the week before he was still working with me at the age of 87. He went to hospital and we are told the Covid sped up the dementia and this is what I’m struggling to understand. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, infection can do that and covid is really nasty. Before mum fell and broke her hip she had problems with mobility, but she could still hold a conversation, knew who I was, could feed herself and I was able still to take her to the cafe down the road for coffee and cake. Within a week of coming back after the hip surgery she lost all her mobility and her swallow - her dementia had suddenly progressed to last stages and end of life.
Im afraid its what happens.

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
Yes, infection can do that and covid is really nasty. Before mum fell and broke her hip she had problems with mobility, but she could still hold a conversation, knew who I was, could feed herself and I was able still to take her to the cafe down the road for coffee and cake. Within a week of coming back after the hip surgery she lost all her mobility and her swallow - her dementia had suddenly progressed to last stages and end of life.
Im afraid its what happens.
That sounds so familiar with the swallowing and complete lack of movement. Dad stopped walking and we had to feed him and change him and to do all that to a parent was simply brutal. I think having him in a home for just a week was a blessing. He saved us from years of misery I feel.