Just joined

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Hi everyone,
I am 63 and my mother is 86. She has "mild to moderate dementia"- no particular type has been specified. I moved her down to Bedford be near me, from Sheffield, just over a year ago, where I believed she was still independent, and since then she has become totally dependent on me, which has come as a shock and a massive learning curve for me. I have just moved her from a sheltered flat to an extra care flat which is only 5 m walk away so I can get there much more quickly.
As this is just an introduction, I want to give more details another time.
I had 3 years as a retired teacher to do what I wanted and now I am a carer. I also have a 30 year old daughter who is semi-independent. Luckily I have a supportive husband but my brother who lives in York and as a busy job and teenage family is no help at all. He rarely visits because the leisure time they do have he spends going on holiday!
Hope to hear from people soon

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello nesty and welcome to Talking Point.

I think many of us can relate to your story - right down to the "invisible" brother :rolleyes:

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Welcome to T P. Sure we will give you lots of support, advice and laughs along this bumpy road of dementia.

You live about 25 miles from me by the sound of it too. I'd be interested to know what your opinion is of the new place your mum has moved to us as my parents both have dementia and the council are building new homes for people who need care etc in my town.

Keep in touch.

Bestgirl

Oct 31, 2015
London, Ontario
Bestgirl

Hi I have just joined. I Live in London Ontario I am 81 years old but very lively. My husband has had alzheimers for 6 years. He is going through the hallucinaton stage. I have a lot of support from my two daughters who both live here. I find it very frustrating at times being a caregiver.
Hi everyone,
I am 63 and my mother is 86. She has "mild to moderate dementia"- no particular type has been specified. I moved her down to Bedford be near me, from Sheffield, just over a year ago, where I believed she was still independent, and since then she has become totally dependent on me, which has come as a shock and a massive learning curve for me. I have just moved her from a sheltered flat to an extra care flat which is only 5 m walk away so I can get there much more quickly.
As this is just an introduction, I want to give more details another time.
I had 3 years as a retired teacher to do what I wanted and now I am a carer. I also have a 30 year old daughter who is semi-independent. Luckily I have a supportive husband but my brother who lives in York and as a busy job and teenage family is no help at all. He rarely visits because the leisure time they do have he spends going on holiday!
Hope to hear from people soon

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum is 85, and I moved her into a sheltered extra care flat in March last year. In the midst of all the chaos of dementia, I am so pleased I found it. The care staff are fab. I moved my mum near to me from Potters Bar, nearish to you.

My brother is fairly invisible, although does do some things. He is unemployed, whilst I work, but .........

He injured his knee so couldn't clear mum's house, 7 hour round trip for me. However he could still race and go on holiday.....

I've learned a lot from TP and I like to know what to expect in the future so that helps.

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Thanks

Thank you for all the welcome messages. I am still trying to find my way round the forum. it's difficult to find the best place to post messages. i want to tell the story of my mums dementia - where should I put it? Also, is there a way to get straight to my posts to see if there are any replies?

woodbrooklabs

Aug 17, 2015
HI, you will see different forums on the 'Forum Home' page. Then right along the top theres a heading saying 'my posts' - your items will show there. Would love to hear your mums dementia story.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you want to start a new topic then go to the Forum home and choose a particular heading (perhaps "I care for someone with dementia" would be the best one). Click on that - you will get a list of the threads and there is a button at the top saying "new topic" click on that and you will get a window like the one that you reply in. Underneath this window there is another one marked "additional options". One of those options is subscription. If you tick that box you will receive notifications, which can be emailed to you if you wish, telling you that you have had replies.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It depends how protected you want your mother's story to be. Some members including myself post their story in the Tea Room as posts can only be seen by members there. You can always bookmark your thread to get straight to it. I usually just go to the Tea Room and scroll down but I write a lot so it never slips down very far in the row.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
welcome welcome welcome xx love to hear your story too
Beate i've never been to the tea room, i shall try to waddle in there this evening or tomorrow x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I normally just click on 'Today's posts' at the top - just under blogs to see what's happening. If you are logged in you get all the posts including tea room.

when I first joined I went to the 'I care for a person with dementia' forum and missed lots of stuff.