Just had to share this....

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
So amazing - this morning was the first day of my partner's switch from Donepezil to Memantine after just over 4 years on Donepezil. I know it's early days but such a difference that I had to share:
Firstly, barely any anger and only one bit of swearing, he's actually been cheerful!
Secondly, a real conversation, honestly I can't remember the last real conversation, he was engaged and chatty and I didn't have to repeat myself. I asked him how many children he had and he told me (couldn't quite remember their names though), he remembered my name but wasn't sure exactly who I was. I told him his carer Martin was coming to take him for an ice cream and he said 'and who's Martin', whereas normally there would be no comprehension at all. I was laughing and crying at the same time and he was laughing along with me! He was really pleased to see Martin, not the usual grumpiness or anger.
Maybe it won't last but in the words of a song by Elbow: 'One day like this a year would see me right'

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
That's brilliant @White Rose. It's such little things that make all the difference to our lives I hope it does last.
My OH has had a really bad UTI. When he has one it's like he's spaced out. Looks through me, I get no response from him and he can't do anything for himself. I have to do everything for him, like feed and give him a drink. He started a second week on different ABs Tuesday evening and by yesterday afternoon, he was talking to me and giving me lip. It lifts my spirits so much when I get something back from him.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
So amazing - this morning was the first day of my partner's switch from Donepezil to Memantine after just over 4 years on Donepezil. I know it's early days but such a difference that I had to share:
Firstly, barely any anger and only one bit of swearing, he's actually been cheerful!
Secondly, a real conversation, honestly I can't remember the last real conversation, he was engaged and chatty and I didn't have to repeat myself. I asked him how many children he had and he told me (couldn't quite remember their names though), he remembered my name but wasn't sure exactly who I was. I told him his carer Martin was coming to take him for an ice cream and he said 'and who's Martin', whereas normally there would be no comprehension at all. I was laughing and crying at the same time and he was laughing along with me! He was really pleased to see Martin, not the usual grumpiness or anger.
Maybe it won't last but in the words of a song by Elbow: 'One day like this a year would see me right'
Hi Whiterose can I ask why you got your OH taken off the Donepizil my hubby has been on it for 5 years but its only recently his moods and physical movements have changed severely he was always cheerie easy going even tho his Alzheimers symptoms are quite bad hes dble incontinent he cant have a conversation that was the first to go on diagnosis but understands what I ask or say at times not all the time his walking getting worse and his eating but his whole character has also changed recently getting balshy and angry so wondering if its the Tabs or deterioration of his Alzheimers how was it for your hubby why you change tablets ..thanks xx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@archiebald - you may find this factsheet helpful. Donepezil is usually prescribed for mild alzheimers and memantine for moderate. Trials have shown that memantine can be better at managing behavioural problems such as agitation/agression. However, these are just guidelines - some people remain on donepezil without a change of medication, some can be prescribed donepezil & memantine together, others change from donepezil to memantine as the alzheimer's progresses, some have other medication. It will be up to the memory team/consultant to decide on the best type of medication and this can sometimes be a case of trial & error. Dementia medication can help to control the symptoms but will not stop the progression.

If your husband's behaviour has suddenly changed it could for a variety of reasons, so in the case of sudden changes it's best to have a thorough check over by a medical professional to try to establish the cause. Alzheimer's usually results in gradual changes, rather than sudden. This factsheet about behaviour changes might be useful:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/symptoms/behaviour-changes

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
My mum is on memantine, without it she would be by now in a home as she was becoming difficult.
I think that when it works on a patient it really does work. Mum’s GP told me to ask the hospital to put her on it and it really has helped.
So pleased it’s making a difference

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
My mum is on memantine, without it she would be by now in a home as she was becoming difficult.
I think that when it works on a patient it really does work. Mum’s GP told me to ask the hospital to put her on it and it really has helped.
So pleased it’s making a difference
Hi @Starting on a journey, I'm hoping this change of meds will help keep my partner at home for longer as he was really becoming very difficult, mainly the anger and swearing and anxiety. Today's only the second day so let's see. Glad to know it's helping your mum.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hi Whiterose can I ask why you got your OH taken off the Donepizil my hubby has been on it for 5 years but its only recently his moods and physical movements have changed severely he was always cheerie easy going even tho his Alzheimers symptoms are quite bad hes dble incontinent he cant have a conversation that was the first to go on diagnosis but understands what I ask or say at times not all the time his walking getting worse and his eating but his whole character has also changed recently getting balshy and angry so wondering if its the Tabs or deterioration of his Alzheimers how was it for your hubby why you change tablets ..thanks xx
Hi @archiebald, my partner's anger and anxiety were getting unmanagable so the GP changed the meds. Best if you speak to the memory clinic or GP and see what they think. To my mind there's not a lot to lose by changing meds if the Donepezil isn't helping anymore. Good luck

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Update - I'm still amazed at the changes since my partner switched to memantine, just two days and he's using more vocabulary, he's noticing things, out in the car he was observing and pointing things out and he's even making some jokes, his mood is better, no more morose head hanging, hardly any anger. It's like a mist has cleared for him.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Update - I'm still amazed at the changes since my partner switched to memantine, just two days and he's using more vocabulary, he's noticing things, out in the car he was observing and pointing things out and he's even making some jokes, his mood is better, no more morose head hanging, hardly any anger. It's like a mist has cleared for him.
That's great news. So pleased for you both.

Karladaisy

Apr 16, 2020
My grandad has been on it for 7 months the highest dose the psst few week's it has started to wear off . It started off perfect my grandad has gone downhill alot still has some good days but the bad outweigh the good. His physcartist has put him on Mirtazapine we will have them next week and see what they do.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Hi @archiebald, my partner's anger and anxiety were getting unmanagable so the GP changed the meds. Best if you speak to the memory clinic or GP and see what they think. To my mind there's not a lot to lose by changing meds if the Donepezil isn't helping anymore. Good luck
Thank you so much I dont have much faith in my husbands doctor as in past before he was diagnosed he had a collapse and because he was a very very fit man and never a days illness in 34 years I kept asking that he be referred to a consultant he was eventually sent a year later after another collapse and hospital admittance then it took another year because he was so young to be deff diagnosed ..I will ask his doctor regards meds he hasnt attended a memory clinic in long time only the phsychiatric memory doctor but that was only in the first year then he was taken off their files and seen through his doctor he has at present a swollen left foot past few weeks doctor gave him Voltorol !!! to rub on thinks might be athritis no way has had problems with his left side again duesnt use hus left hand much if I give him something in his left hand he could have it there 2 hours later I mentioned to doc but according to them nothing wrong but Im not letting it go so will mention his moods change see how it goes but thank you again and so happy your situation has improved for you . Stay safe xx

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Thank you so much I dont have much faith in my husbands doctor as in past before he was diagnosed he had a collapse and because he was a very very fit man and never a days illness in 34 years I kept asking that he be referred to a consultant he was eventually sent a year later after another collapse and hospital admittance then it took another year because he was so young to be deff diagnosed ..I will ask his doctor regards meds he hasnt attended a memory clinic in long time only the phsychiatric memory doctor but that was only in the first year then he was taken off their files and seen through his doctor he has at present a swollen left foot past few weeks doctor gave him Voltorol !!! to rub on thinks might be athritis no way has had problems with his left side again duesnt use hus left hand much if I give him something in his left hand he could have it there 2 hours later I mentioned to doc but according to them nothing wrong but Im not letting it go so will mention his moods change see how it goes but thank you again and so happy your situation has improved for you . Stay safe xx
Well I have to say it's taken a long time and different GPs due to house moves and finally we have one who cares enough even to phone me! I know they're very busy but it seems many of them think there's nothing that can be done and will leave you to it. It's a shame we have to shout so loud to be heard.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I've just posted in a new thread, sadly the positive news hasn't continued and he's probably worse even than before, and this after only one week on memantine. It's just like seeing a flash of sun and then dark clouds back again, forever maybe, very depressing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonyati