Just had his physio assessment

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Two ladies came and asked loads of questions and then looked around the flat. One thing they came up with was a frame to go alongside the bed to help him get up. They asked him to lie on the bed, which he did fine, and then to get up again. He did ok but they said he found it slightly harder and suggested a frame thingy that goes under the mattress and then sticks up at the side of the bed. The idea is he uses it to help rise from a lying position. However, I have visions of him waking during the night to go to the bathroom and panicking when him comes across this structure. At the moment he seems ok so does he need it?
But they did try him with the walker which was why I wanted the assessment and he coped quite well with it so they are going to order one for him.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum has the frame for the bed, it is brilliant, it doesnt get in the way as it is about 30cm away from head of bed, its hard to explain how it is positioned but in mums bed it is right in front of her when lying on her side so she sees it and doesnt have to stretch to reach it so uses it well.
It also helps her lower herself in and then position herself once laying flat
We had it fitted by the people who supplied it but it is actually just straps that go under the bed frame so were easy to do ourselves when mum moved in with me.

We also got a toilet frame that sits easily round the bowl and has handles either side for helping PWD sit/stand and position correctly, mum used that loose for a while but them we got it screwed to the floor and seems to be easier for her ( height is adjustable too)

Also a chair for the shower, proper chairs with arms, so makes showering much easier as mum feels secure in it.

Walking frame helps when mum has her unsteady days too

All the above were supplied by the local authority on loan, I am mentioning the other stuff we got as I didnt even know it was available so to find out we could borrow it was great.

Last edited:

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
My Dad had a frame between the mattress and the base of the bed and found it very useful to help him sit up in bed. They are very lightweight. It's probably better to try it sooner rather than later. These things don't get easier to understand.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad had the bed frame fitted but it confused him so much he didn't go to bed until I removed it. He slept on the sofa for three nights until it occurred to me that it might be causing a problem. Once gone he went back to sleeping in his bed.

Maybe just try it and see how he gets on. It's easy to remove if it doesn't work out.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband fell out of bed in Feb and then had two further falls that night. He ended up in hospital and after discharge the OTs did a review. The bed frame is one of the best things and would have prevented the first fall. The shower chair is great and I shave him sitting in it which makes that job easier. He refused to use the raised toilet seat but is still using the original apart from the off days when he looks at it like an alien structure.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My dad had the bed frame fitted but it confused him so much he didn't go to bed until I removed it. He slept on the sofa for three nights until it occurred to me that it might be causing a problem. Once gone he went back to sleeping in his bed.

Maybe just try it and see how he gets on. It's easy to remove if it doesn't work out.
I think I'll do that and see how he gets on

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Before we had our bathroom redone we had an over bath shower chair. It swivelled for my husband to sit in and then swivelled back so his feet were in the bath. It made it much easier for me to shower him. I got it from the Occupational Therapist. It was like this -

6EB44280-D5CA-4AAD-A49D-8A8249DF4E48.jpeg