Just had a call

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Sorry I haven't been around for a while, as always though there is always something new. Mum has called yesterday in floods of tears saying she needed me to go to her straight away and she couldn't tell me about it over the phone. The last time I had to deliver news face to face was the loss of my niece so I probably got too fearful. She was sobbing her heart out. I drove there like jelly thinking the worst, as we have had a lot of tragedy and tribulations through the years. It was just my sister had called mum saying saying she didn't want to be the executor anymore and was seeing a solicitor to remove herself. Why oh why she bothers mum with this stuff when it distresses her I just don't understand..

I didn't know whether to be relieved or angry as I was so fearful.

How do you remove yourself from being an executor on another person's will?

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Noorza,

Your sister can't remove herself an executor, it would be up to your mum to make a new will (or a codicil, which is an addition/alteration to a will) changing the executors. If your mum leaves her will as it is then your sister can decide when the time comes (i.e. when your mum dies) whether or not to take on the role.

As you say, I don't know why your sister had to worry your mum with this stuff, before checking out the situation.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi Noorza,

Your sister can't remove herself an executor, it would be up to your mum to make a new will (or a codicil, which is an addition/alteration to a will) changing the executors. If your mum leaves her will as it is then your sister can decide when the time comes (i.e. when your mum dies) whether or not to take on the role.

As you say, I don't know why your sister had to worry your mum with this stuff, before checking out the situation.

It all makes sense now. The light has gone on. Thanks again.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
On Gordons will I wasjoint executor with my step daughter. She decided she did not want to do it, so I got her to sign a piece of paper declaring that. Dated and witnessed by another person than yourself.

When it came to obtaining probate they send their own form and once again my step daughter signed it and it was witnessed by her friend , dated and included in paperwork returned to probate office.very straightforward really

jen54

May 20, 2014
yup, I had a feeling there was something on the letter I received with the oath that said that witnessed form wasnt needed now if an executor wanted to forgo the role, ..but cant swear to it as cant dig out letter..but it certainly doesn't mean a new will is needed I am sure

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
There's 2 options. Either an executor can renounce their executorship, which is a form which needs to be witnessed; or power can be reserved to an executor (they sit on the subs' bench, so to speak) which only requires them to be served with a notice.