Just found out: Early onset. Many other complicating factors ... Scared

Joyfulintent

Jan 15, 2019
I am amicably separated for 18 mo. from my husband of 30 years. He was diagnosed five days ago. Likely stage 3 undetermined dementia but awaiting MRI to see if we can get more specific.

I myself have had chronic leukemia for 10 years and have to watch my stress levels, lest my situation flare up and require debilitating meds.

I separated from him because he tends toward narcissism and severe anxiety. Getting pulled back into his life, he lives 10 mins away, because of this. One child in town, who's 21, other two, 26 and 30, out of town. One coming back for a few days this week to help get things settled down.

At 59, he is considered early onset. He identifies with his work as a college professor, which he has been advised to quit, and he has been advised to stop driving - especially since two weeks ago he was stopped for a minor traffic violation and was jailed because the arresting officer thought he was intoxicated because of his confusion. He admitted to smoking pot earlier in the day (which he does to take the edge off the anxiety.) So there is that.

I can't let this take me down ,but already I feel the effects. I care about him but I was finding my own way again, my heart was healing as I put more and more distance between us. Now I'm back in it and I will not make my kids go this alone.

Yesterday my husband wept/howled in my arms. He called me several times yesterday. He is fairly lucid but judgment-impaired and when the anxiety kicks in, it’s worse. I can be present to him but is causing a lot of stress and of course I’m figuring all this out as I go but it’s only going to get worse and I’m worried about my own health. I wish my kids would come home but I’m not going to make them or even suggest it. I am contacting the Alzheimer’s Assn for support and I see two therapists this week.

I'm worried for him and my children but as much as anything i'm worried for myself.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Joyfulintent, you are welcome here and you have come to the right place for information and support.

What has happened is tragic for anyone and because of your personal circumstances you will have to consider your position. Caring for someone with dementia can be both a physical and emotional roller coaster..

It may be a good idea to enlist any support available via his GP and Social Services as soon as possible. There are fact sheets on a publication list that can help with explaining these things as well as the matter of getting affairs in order etc., while the person still has capacity. You can reach the fact sheets by following this link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

I note that you are already in contact with AS. If you need to, you can do a post code check for support services by following this link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

If you think it would help to talk to the experts on the national help line the details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Joyfulintent

I`m so sorry you are faced with such a predicament. I feel the only way this can be managed is for you to get advice to help you reach a middle way.

Nothing will be ideal of course but help to prioritise care for yourself while at the same time offer your husband a measured level of support, just to appease your conscience, may be the best you will be able to do.

Please do not be guilt trapped into more involvement with your husband than you are able to manage. You separated for a reason even if you still care for him.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Joyfulintent, are you UK based?
If not stay with us, there will be other members, more local to you who can give advice on who or what to contact local to you.
You are about to enter a very difficult time, for which you will need help and guidance.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Many people with early onset dementia get huge anxiety or depression because they are still aware of what is happening.
Medication for the anxiety/depression can often help - perhaps you could contact his GP to explain the situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa