Just diagnosed

AliceSarah

Oct 9, 2021
My husband who is 75 has been recently diagnosed with altzeimers. The neurologist says that all the tests he's had indicate he's probably had it around 7 years now. I need to read up as much as I can about this disease and would appreciate hearing about books that other partners have found the most helpful. We live in Greece but fortunately have just been able to come to Cornwall to share the diagnosis with our daughter who is very supportive and recommended this forum. I'm not quite so scared now as this forum is full of very supportive people.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @AliceSarah. I’m sure others will be along soon with recommendations for books. I personally found Teepa Snow videos on YouTube very informative and she’s an entertaining watch too. I learned lots from her and from this site.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Welcome to the forum. I recommend “The selfish pigs guide to caring” by Hugh Marriott. keep it handy as you can dip in and out. Keep on the forum as there are lots of good threads and information.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @AliceSarah.

I didn`t read any books but I just want to welcome you to Dementia Talking Point and say how pleased I am you find people here so supportive.

The Alzheimer`s Society has compiled a comprehensive list of fact sheets and publications which you might also find helpful.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
My husband who is 75 has been recently diagnosed with altzeimers. The neurologist says that all the tests he's had indicate he's probably had it around 7 years now. I need to read up as much as I can about this disease and would appreciate hearing about books that other partners have found the most helpful. We live in Greece but fortunately have just been able to come to Cornwall to share the diagnosis with our daughter who is very supportive and recommended this forum. I'm not quite so scared now as this forum is full of very supportive people.
Hi. Welcome to the best place for friends AND information!

My mum is 73 and newly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s (February), she had been showing signs for a couple of years but had a memory clinic test around end 2019 and passed, so was not diagnosed until this year.

Please be careful when reading stuff on the internet, like you I wanted to find out everything I could and FAST. I had this idea of getting “all clued up” and then it would be easier. But I soon found two things 1. Don’t trust everything you read, some sites are written by or have contributions by well-meaning people who (to be frank) haven’t got a clue. 2 take your time to read about it, you don’t need to know everything now. It will help for the future to be better informed but take weeks not hours to read what you need to.

Use the search function at the top of the TP web pages to look for forums/posts on what you need.

Living abroad makes things slight different for you. Assuming you will stay in Greece, You will need to find out the Greek equivalent of a lot of things, for example POAs. You’ll need to consider how you will fund care etc. if you do return to live in the UK, you’ll need to arrange POAs etc.

But for now, just try to relax. Things make a lot more sense if you can step back from them I’ve found.

AliceSarah

Oct 9, 2021
Thanks Cazcaz
It's easy to panic after such a diagnosis but I think I'll follow your advice and take it easy with trying to fill my brain with information about this disease. Thank you.

AliceSarah

Oct 9, 2021
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @AliceSarah. I’m sure others will be along soon with recommendations for books. I personally found Teepa Snow videos on YouTube very informative and she’s an entertaining watch too. I learned lots from her and from this site.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'll have a look now.