Just coming to terms with end of life and now chc knock back arrives

yorkshirerosie

Jul 14, 2010
cheshire
As we thought, Mums assessment has been decided as a decline decision however a day after the review Mum had a fall then 5 days after she ended up in hospital being treated for another water infection. Mum was discharged and I was told that the symptoms are telling that she has reached end of life stage and there was no further treatment to help improve things.
Since then she is not eating, drinking, she's hardly talking and has lost all mobility. This is a very difficult time for me and the rest of the family so I'm not sure whether the chc is important enough to me but I feel that now especially she is entitled to it.
One of the nurses who attended the assessment told me on the day mum went into hospital that if the assessment had been a week later, the fall and the hospital admission would help toward the case and probably mean she would be accepted.
Can any one advise me on whether it's worth my time or if I was to pursue it, how ?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum had her assessment in Jan. I knew she wouldn't get it, so few do regardless of how much it is justified, but it gave them a benchmark to work from for further assessments. She died in February.....and the only difference in her state was that during assessment she was in her chair. Two days later she was in bed and never left it again except when they exchanged her bed for the brief time the hospital bed was brought in.
You could have an assessment, your Mum's needs might be greater.

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
As we thought, Mums assessment has been decided as a decline decision however a day after the review Mum had a fall then 5 days after she ended up in hospital being treated for another water infection. Mum was discharged and I was told that the symptoms are telling that she has reached end of life stage and there was no further treatment to help improve things.
Since then she is not eating, drinking, she's hardly talking and has lost all mobility. This is a very difficult time for me and the rest of the family so I'm not sure whether the chc is important enough to me but I feel that now especially she is entitled to it.
One of the nurses who attended the assessment told me on the day mum went into hospital that if the assessment had been a week later, the fall and the hospital admission would help toward the case and probably mean she would be accepted.
Can any one advise me on whether it's worth my time or if I was to pursue it, how ?
Hi Yorkshirerosie, my mum (who has vascular dementia) is on end of life care since discharge from hospital a week last Thursday with aspiration pneumonia. She cannot have any fluids or food and can only have mouth care now plus all meds stopped. She is still with us after a week after being given only hours to survive in hospital. I contacted continuing care to let them know of the dramatic change (as we lost funding 4 years ago which is a disgrace!!) I have been told that the manager of the nursing home and the doctor have to fill paperwork out and that the funding will be back dated from the day she left hospital to go back in nursing home. Im afraid to say that my poor mum only has days left and surely now this will be granted for her (perhaps now because they feel it will not be huge amounts due to end of life.) The whole system is so cruel and wrong for the patient and their families. I hope this is helpful, keep fighting and don't give up! x