Just come back from my first family holiday in 2 yrs

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
DH, DS & DD & I managed to get away for 8 days :)
My parents live behind us in their own house, but I am Mums main carer.

Prior to going on holiday Mum thought she had a UTI.
Got that checked... she didn't. Then she had aches & pains. How was she going to cope, who was going to give her her tablets, was her phone bill paid etc

On the Friday before, I left, I had work.
That morning, 7am just as I went to reverse my car out the garage Mum was standing right behind my car still in her nightie :eek: Was her power bill paid? Boy that gave me a fright :(
All Mum & Dads bills are paid automatically, and have done for years.

Mum went to my sisters for 4 days. Dad stayed at home on his own.
My sister had to take her home,as she had work, but my Invisible brother played his part :eek: and came backwards & forwards checking up on Mum especially with taking her tablets.

I had my mobile phn with me the whole time, and rang Mum every day.
Where are you? Are you having a good holiday? Your brothers on my back to take my tablets. When are you coming home? I don't think you should go away so far next time. ( we were 6 hrs drive away)

Funnily enough once I left she didn't mention any aches & pains to my sister the whole time.
My sister wondered if it was stress of the thought of me going away or attention seeking or both?

Could do with another week off tho :rolleyes:

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Am glad it all went well
Invisible brother did his bit :eek:, maybe he wont be quite so invisible in future and give a helping hand

I hope holiday holiday did you all a power of good !

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
I'm so glad that you managed to get away. I managed my first family holiday for a couple of years too, in August. It was quite lovely even if I still had to speak to my mum every day!

I found that I really benefited from it while I was actually there, but coming back was really hard and I hit ground with a big bump. Having said that it made me realise that as I've done it once, I can do it again, and things returned to 'normal' (I use the word loosely) fairly speedily.

xxxxxxx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I am so glad you enjoyed your holiday. Maybe you will be able to have more now the others are helping? Its wonderful isn't it? We had one recently and it really recharged our batteries. I am very pleased for you x

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Such good news, and I think it's a good idea to get away a little more frequently from now on. It means the rest of the family gets a better picture of the situation and should have much more understanding about the huge task caring is. It helps your mum to not rely just on you all the time, that can make them much more demanding, it gives your dad a break, AND you get a rest and allow yourself to have some fun.

I'm such a bossy boots but it is so important to get that down time, and it makes you a happier carer.

Here's to many more holidays in the future.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1381229155.311419.jpg

Stephanie, xxx