just checking. motion sensors

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
hi I haven't been here for a while cos stupidly I think I can cope. I have just got motion sensors fitted into mums house. to log her movement from room to room. I wasn't sure about it but hells bells I feel like I have just been given a great big hand (Kenny everet foam style if anyone remembers that from the 80's).
I now know why she is tired, although I suspected it. mam thinks she is going to bed early, 8pm or so and yes she is. what she is doing and either doesn't remember or doesn't say. she is getting up lots of times in the night. going to the kitchen (no doubt for a little of what she fancies) in bed for a few hours between 12 and 5 and gets up again. . oh hells bells, a little knowledge can go a long way.
anyone else had this kind of thing fitted. I would be curious to hear the stories

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
I wondered about those because it's the same thing with my Mum. Has it helped you and and what will you be able to do about it? We had an exit door sensor put on the front door and I now know my Mum is up pretty much every night and opening the front door a fair few times. She doesn't go out so often as the call centre talk to get thank goodness. She is always tired and I very often make her go back to bed in the morning for an hour or two which seems to help her.
I have wondered about the motion sensors. Is that through - just checking?
Be interested to know if it can help her?
Sorry that hasn't really helped!

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
We have a "Wildlife" camera set up on the landing at night.
It has certainly opened my eyes as to what goes on at night.
In/out of bathroom, down/up stairs, has led us to refine the night time routine.
As we live with the sufferer's, it is easy set up and check.

Bod
Ps We thought long and hard about setting this up, but in the end, the information it has given has been invaluable.

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Hi . Really interesting how this works and glad to hear it has helped. My mum lives on her own so I don't know whether I would be scared to see what happens or how it would help? Any thoughts if person lives on their own? I'm keen for night care but social services won't pay for that and Mum is not self funding

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
the sensors have been in for just over a week and they are on a free trial for 6 weeks. unfortunately they couldnt be fitted to the front door to show if mum had gone out. I had also thought (and still am) about setting up some kind of 'wildlife camera' possibly on the stairs.
I have found it useful to see her sleep patterns. even if its just to know whether to take her out for the day as if she hasnt had much sleep she will obviously be tired and easily upset i'll see how we get on in the next few weeks before makimg a decision.
they are 'just checking' sensors and we got them from social services

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
unfortunately they couldnt be fitted to the front door to show if mum had gone out.
If it is possible to get broadband in your Mums house it is not difficult to do and also sometimes cheaper than other solutions.

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Just checking sensors

Yes, we had Just Checking sensors fitted a week or so back through SS. There IS one on the front door (which means I can see when carers arrive! (one 15 min call when we are paying for 30 and a failure to go into the bedroom when the cat's tray there is supposed to be changed, but the good carers are confirmed as doing a thorough job.) and if someone else calls - mum doesn't really go out so that's not one of our worries) They show that mum gets up a few times in the night but probably for the loo, but I'm fairly sure they are picking up her cat as we were worried she doesn't move enough to keep well and there seems to be endless movement (but NOT through the lobby which obviously doesn't pick up the cat!)
We will probably add a chair sensor as that should actually show the time when mum is in her chair and confirm that she doesn't get up enough as she loses track of time.
It's very interesting and I can see how for some people it would be really helpful. You can have things like bed sensor, floor area sensor, and if you are worried about a wandering patient that would be helpful. For us maybe less so.