Just been diagnosed

Mccracken

Apr 6, 2022
Had a reasonable week, just chatting and reassuring ourselves all will be well .Medication seems to be helping him ,blocking out the future at the moment sorry.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Mccracken

Life can be well for quite some time after diagnosis so don't let fear make you think otherwise.

I found that researching as much as I could and preparing for the worst, while hoping for the best, worked for me.

If you haven't already done so, immediately getting things like Power of Attorney etc in order helps as one never knows when they will be required. Stay on good terms with the GP and ask Social Services for a needs assessment for both of you as there is likely to come a time when help is required.

Stick with the forum for support and advice,

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Try not to worry about the future, with dementia you just cant plan for it. Instead, deal with today and, if its a good one, enjoy it.
xx

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@Mccracken Blocking out the future is very sensible with Dementia. karaokePete gives very good advice above.

Something I wish I’d known at the start: be aware that an infection can cause symptoms and behaviour that’s easy to mistake for a progression of the dementia. The only time my Mum “wandered” was when she had a UTI. She was like a different person when she had one.

Best wishes to you both xx

Last edited:

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
My OH was diagnosed in February 2017, like you we were devastated and frightened for the future (still am), BUT, in some ways things are better and easier now than then (mainly changes and acceptance in me), and currently we are on holiday in Lanzarote and BOTH enjoying ourselves. Things are not the same, I have to get his meals, he can’t move round hotel on his own, steps are a nightmare , but we have walked loads, swam, taken trips down memory Lane, life is still very much worthwhile for both of us. Please don’t lose heart, and living for now is a really good idea. Big hugs. ??

Mccracken

Apr 6, 2022
My OH was diagnosed in February 2017, like you we were devastated and frightened for the future (still am), BUT, in some ways things are better and easier now than then (mainly changes and acceptance in me), and currently we are on holiday in Lanzarote and BOTH enjoying ourselves. Things are not the same, I have to get his meals, he can’t move round hotel on his own, steps are a nightmare , but we have walked loads, swam, taken trips down memory Lane, life is still very much worthwhile for both of us. Please don’t lose heart, and living for now is a really good idea. Big hugs. ??
Wow how inspiring x