Just authorised Respite referral

Tragicuglyducky

Apr 4, 2016
All, a District nurse who has been going to my dad to do his post cataract op eye drops arrived at my dads to a house full of gas. The gas was so strong she felt dizzy and according to her, dad was oblivious to it. Dad is ok etc but she has had to raise a safe guarding concern at the GPS and the fire brigade need to be contacted too. I explained how my brother and I are exploring putting him in a home because living independently doesn’t feel like the right choice for us nor him. She said that she needs to put a referral in to put him into respite because obviously this is about his own safety and that of his neighbours etc. Although I know of respite, and will research it now, I don’t know how to feel about putting him somewhere. I wonder if it’s a good opportunity to have him try out living somewhere else. But also wonder what is the point in respite if I’ve still not got any SS/carer support and his circumstances will be no diffeeent when he comes out? What should I expect in this situation? What should I look out for and what should I focus on?

A few important details about Dad: he’s a non-English speaker which appears to be a big excuse in anything being progressed for us, he is self funded but we have struggled to set up LPA because we were told he needs to be able to communicate what he wants and he struggles to convey it only that he has known for sometime that it is important and that he wants my brother and I to take charge of the things he can no longer manage. He owns his own house - mortgage free.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Welcome to TP, re your dad’s difficulties in communication in English, it’s worth contacting the Court of Protection and seeing if they have bilingual forms in your dad’s language, if they don’t ask what they advise.
It may be acceptable for a person of social standing (a religious leader, doctor etc) who can explain the forms to your dad. The witness to sign that your dad understands the forms, at that moment in time, cannot be a relative, and should have known your dad for two years.

When I was looking for a care home for my mum I noticed a lot that listed the languages spoken by their staff.