Just a word of thanks ...

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hi all
Have only just registered today, but have been reading a lot of the messages here both supportive and useful as well as the sad news from people who are suffering, and finding things tough.

I dont really know what to say, other than thanks to everyone who takes time to read and write here, I find it's helped just to know that I'm not the only one feeling like I do. I'm 35, I lost my mum to cancer when I was a child, and now my step mum has alzheimers and it's tearing me apart watching her (and Dad, who's 70 and doing another fantastic job of caring for everyone) suffer each day.

It's a subject I find impossible to discuss with friends and family yet it seems easier to write stuff down and get it off my chest.

Thanks again for supplying the opportunity to speak freely
when I've found the words to express what I really want to say I'll be back.

love, light and peace
TED

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Ted,

Welcome to Talking Point and many thanks for your kind words too. Do contribute whenever you wish to do so.

Also - have a browse around the other forums. We have poems, jokes and pictorial jokes to cheer you up as well as some very userful items on our Resources thread. Don't forget our book swap thread either. additionally, some very useful information can be found on the Fact Sheets, which are posted on the top left hand side of the TP Forum page.

Very best wishes. Look forward to hearing from you again

Jude

Last edited:

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Welcome Ted and please feel free to discuss or ask anything.

I'm sure a lot of us hang out here as it is so difficult to discuss these issue with even our closest friends.

See you soon
Craig

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Ted, glad you found us. Please join in and air and share with us, it helps us and it helps you! If we all contribute, we get the big picture and this can only be good for our dear ones if we learn more and make those in high places listen to the needs of dementia sufferers. Love, She. XX

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hello
Many thanks for the replies and good wishes
have been trying to take in all the excellent information here and will be using a lot of it to educate the rest of my family. (we've all got to understand before we can really help)

Will certainely be back and hopefully will be able to help contribute and encourage others as you have done forme

For now I have plenty of reading to do
and then I might find a way to help not only Mum but also Dad who will no doubt struggle through having already nursed one wife through cancer, this must be double hard on him.

thanks again all
love light and peace
TED

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Welcome Ted
I am so glad that have Dad in your thoughts,he is a carer and needs help.
Lokk after him Ted,he needs your support at this time,believe me
Best Wishes
Norman

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
Hello
just posting this to put my introduction back on the board, I came here after some time reading all the help and advice 'offline' as such. Now that I've found my 'voice' at last thought i should give a bit of background as to my situation as I'm not a carer I'm just the youngest son of the family and finding it really hard to take seeing my mum and dad suffer after doing so much with thier lives. As I mentioned before, my heart goes out to my Dad even more as he's already lost one partner and he handled that with such bravery that makes me feel a failure not being able to live up to his level.

Anyway I'm off for a good scream somewhere.
hope you all having a good day
love light and peace
TED

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Ted, Norman is so right, your Dad is gonna need you to help him through all this, love him and be there all you can to listen and to help him. You have done well to have got as far as you have, hopefully now you will be able to use the resources on TP to help your Dad get a good care package together so he gets support to help you all with this awful illness. Love, She. XX

C

Chesca

Dear TED

Just a thought. See, I have been thinking about you and something you said earlier about carers.

Don't forget that you too are a carer - Caring is not confined to those people registered with officialdom as such. You appear to have a similar problem to mine in that as well as losing someone you love, your step mum, to AD, you are also sharing the unbearable grief of your dear Dad. The greatest support you can offer somebody is unconditional love but don't forget you also need some for yourself.

Catch you later
Chesca

HelenB

May 29, 2004
Leeds
Dear Ted

I must agree with Chesca - you are also a carer and will need your own support to help you through this time. I'm in a slightly similar position to yourself in that my mother has Alzheimers (although she is cared for in a nursing home, as my father died years ago). I was 33 when my mother first went into care - and that was over 8 years ago. I must admit I tended to struggle on alone with my pain - occasionally seeking a comforting shoulder from friends - but it's only recently, since I accessed this website, that I really feel supported. Only those people in a similar situation as yourself can really understand. So as well as supporting your father, make sure you seek support from others 'in the know', be it your family or people on this website.

Best regards, Helen

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
too kind

hello

Thank you
you dont know how good that feels to hear you put it like that.
I spend all my life worrying and caring for other people that I never let anyone in close enough to look share things with me.
Guess until the other day I felt really alone and helpless .... yes I'm 35 going on 12 !!

right everyone outside for a group Hug ..... NOW !

TED

C

Chesca

Dear All

Consider yourselves well and truly hugged!

Coffee and biccy time out from the ironing - where does it all come from?

TED, I know what you mean about the age thing....

With loadsa
Chesca (51 going on 196 today)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Now there's a thought for some publicity - get all the members of TP in one place in a group hug. How about Parliament Square?

TED

Sep 14, 2004
Middlesex
hey stop trying to hijack my idea.......hee hee

group hug somewhere more interesting would be nice, parliament is such a waste of space, would be more useful if they knocked it down and built a Starbucks or something (just a matter of time really) where's Al-Quaida when you need them....

gotta go
Daisy's taking me down the pub for a pint !!!
Moo

TED

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Ted, course your a carer too. You wouldn't be doing the things you are if you wern't. Just make sure that you have a life of your own as well, we are all entitled to that. As for the hug, well consider it a bear hug and it takes in Daisy and Brian, (that was the ducks name wasn't it?) too. You are a caring and thoughtful son and I am sure your Dad is real proud of you. Love, She. XX