just a quick question.

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
Hi All,

just a quick question, my MIL has been in nursing home coming up three months, she has fees paid by NHS as she has full CHC. my question is who do we turn to if needing help as told SS no longer involved in her care. is this true? who will attend her 3 month review of CHC to guide us through what i think will be a hard battle. should she have a care manager? any advice would be greatly received.

jan1962

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
Hi All,

just a quick question, my MIL has been in nursing home coming up three months, she has fees paid by NHS as she has full CHC. my question is who do we turn to if needing help as told SS no longer involved in her care. is this true? who will attend her 3 month review of CHC to guide us through what i think will be a hard battle. should she have a care manager? any advice would be greatly received.

Hi Jan,
you are correct the SS has nothing to do with your MIL care.
But if she is already in receipt of CHC funding then if and when a review happens you should be able to ask SW to help you put forward your case.
As it is the SS duty to make sure that they are not passed over ANY cases that are the responsibility of the NHS.
I however wouldn't rely too much on the SS.
A 3 month review may never happen .
Don't ask for one unless there are special reasons.
If a review does happen then do it yourself.
Make sure you get hold of all the NH records and go through them and highlight the things of importance .
The review has to PROVE that your MIL has made a recovery and no longer qualifies for CHC.
Make sure that anyone doing a review is qualified themselves to do this.
Get everything in writing and attend the review yourself.
If you feel you can't handle it yourself ask the PCT or your GP about advocacy services that should be made available to you.
MICK

jan1962

May 19, 2012
Hi All,

Hi Jan,
you are correct the SS has nothing to do with your MIL care.
But if she is already in receipt of CHC funding then if and when a review happens you should be able to ask SW to help you put forward your case.
As it is the SS duty to make sure that they are not passed over ANY cases that are the responsibility of the NHS.
I however wouldn't rely too much on the SS.
A 3 month review may never happen .
Don't ask for one unless there are special reasons.
If a review does happen then do it yourself.
Make sure you get hold of all the NH records and go through them and highlight the things of importance .
The review has to PROVE that your MIL has made a recovery and no longer qualifies for CHC.
Make sure that anyone doing a review is qualified themselves to do this.
Get everything in writing and attend the review yourself.
If you feel you can't handle it yourself ask the PCT or your GP about advocacy services that should be made available to you.
MICK

Hi Crazyfish,

thanks for your reply and can i say a great help. i will not be asking for any reviews at all and fingers crossed they do not spring one on me. will i be able to get access to my MILs care notes as i do not have POA or anything, suppose my FIL could ask and then i can look at them as he does not have a clue as it is always me and OH that attend all meetings for him.

think even if the did an assessment then she would probably pass as her physical health is going from bad to worse, physical health is way out stripping her mental health.

i could probably so this as i had a good teacher in my MILs social worker. he stepped in at last min as hers was on holiday (it was her boss). he did not let the guy doing the assessment get away with anything, will look on the net for the assessment tool like i did last time and do my own assessment so that i have an idea what they will be looking at.

thanks again

jan1962

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
Hi Crazyfish,

thanks for your reply and can i say a great help. i will not be asking for any reviews at all and fingers crossed they do not spring one on me. will i be able to get access to my MILs care notes as i do not have POA or anything, suppose my FIL could ask and then i can look at them as he does not have a clue as it is always me and OH that attend all meetings for him.

think even if the did an assessment then she would probably pass as her physical health is going from bad to worse, physical health is way out stripping her mental health.

i could probably so this as i had a good teacher in my MILs social worker. he stepped in at last min as hers was on holiday (it was her boss). he did not let the guy doing the assessment get away with anything, will look on the net for the assessment tool like i did last time and do my own assessment so that i have an idea what they will be looking at.

thanks again

jan1962

hi jan.
yes your FIL should be able to ask for any CH medical notes.
That shouldn't be a problem discuss it with the CH manager.
Make sure you keep on top of whats going on at the CH with your MIL.
Keep your own notes if you have time.
Make sure anyone doing an assessment follows the correct procedures to the letter.
Download the DOH continuing health care practice guidance.
MICK

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
crazyfish said:
As it is the SS duty to make sure that they are not passed over ANY cases that are the responsibility of the NHS
What does that mean Mick? Does that mean people with continuing healthcare or even people in hospital?
Does it mean Social Services have a duty to be involved?
I ask because I have a feeling yours and JPG1's knowledge is probably going to be invaluable.
Cheers, Gwen X

p.s Does it mean by getting them involved you are taken out of the loop? i.e you have no say, they can legally just do what they think is right? Or does family/next of kin still have a voice? Thanks.
Sorry Jan for exploiting your thread XXX

Last edited:

jan1962

May 19, 2012
What does that mean Mick? Does that mean people with continuing healthcare or even people in hospital?
I ask because I have a feeling yours and JPG1's knowledge is probably going to be invaluable.
Cheers, Gwen X

p.s Does it mean by getting them involved you are taken out of the loop? i.e you have no say, they can legally just do what they think is right? Or does family/next of kin still have a voice? Thanks.

Hi garnuft,

you are not exploiting my thread. any questions are welcome as they are helping not just me but everyone. as you say Mick and JPG1 are a mind full of knowledge and give good advice.

jan1962

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
Cheers, Gwen X

HI Garnuft,
if anyone in hospital or in any other situation and is ill or handicaped.
The NHS have the duty to provide care Free of charge .
But to get round this they have put their own rules and regs in place so that they don't have to pay.(circumnavigate the law)
And they do this by passing over that person to the SS as deem that the person they have assessed does NOT have a 'Primary Health Need'.
Only social care is needed.
The SS are them obliged to means test that person if they are not self funding and then work out a care package.
But what SW should do is make thoroughly sure that the person denied CHC is indeed their responsibility and that the CHC assessment was carried out correctly.
If they feel this has not been done in the correct manner they should make their objections known to the NHS.
The council rate payers the SW works for certainly don't want their money spent on somebody's care when it should be the NHS duty to pay.
This all seems a bit complicated and confusing and of course it has been made so deliberately so that most people give up or find it all too much to deal with.
Some people I know have been fighting for their relatives rights for 7 or 8 years.
The family is NEVER taken out of the loop.
They must be involved at all times.
Don't be afraid to demand your rights.
Because you have the law on your side.
Don't be bullied or pushed around by either the NHS or SS.
Get EVERYTHING in writing .
Do NOT sign anything without checking it out first.
Hope this helps a bit.
Others might give more advice.
MICK

Last edited:

jan1962

May 19, 2012
HI Garnuft,
if anyone in hospital or in any other situation and is ill or handicaped.
The NHS have the duty to provide care Free of charge .
But to get round this they have put their own rules and regs in place so that they don't have to pay.(circumnavigate the law)
And they do this by passing over that person to the SS as deem that the person they have assessed does NOT have a 'Primary Health Need'.
Only social care is needed.
The SS are them obliged to means test that person if they are not self funding and then work out a care package.
But what SW should do is make thoroughly sure that the person denied CHC is indeed their responsibility and that the CHC assessment was carried out correctly.
If they feel this has not been done in the correct manner they should make their objections known to the NHS.
The council rate payers the SW works for certainly don't want their money spent on somebody's care when it should be the NHS duty to pay.
This all seems a bit complicated and confusing and of course it has been made so deliberately so that most people give up or find it all too much to deal with.
Some people I know have been fighting for their relatives rights for 7 or 8 years.
The family is NEVER taken out of the loop.
They must be involved at all times.
Don't be afraid to demand your rights.
Because you have the law on your side.
Don't be bullied or pushed around by either the NHS or SS.
Get EVERYTHING in writing .
Do NOT sign anything without checking it out first.
Hope this helps a bit.
Others might give more advice.
MICK

hi there,

great advice will carry it out to the letter as i will not let them get one over on me. may need more advice and support if the time comes to a review know i can count on people on this site.

still waiting for best interest meeting to be arranged, hope this happens sooner rather than later as we (FIL OH and myself) have discussed the dreaded DNR situation and we have decided that we want this put in place. if they do not hurry this up i will ask for them to make appointment with her GP to visit so that we can do it that way as we do not want her to suffer any more and it would be so wrong to bring her back if something should happen God forbid.

jan1962

crazyfish

Oct 12, 2012
hi there,

great advice will carry it out to the letter as i will not let them get one over on me. may need more advice and support if the time comes to a review know i can count on people on this site.

still waiting for best interest meeting to be arranged, hope this happens sooner rather than later as we (FIL OH and myself) have discussed the dreaded DNR situation and we have decided that we want this put in place. if they do not hurry this up i will ask for them to make appointment with her GP to visit so that we can do it that way as we do not want her to suffer any more and it would be so wrong to bring her back if something should happen God forbid.

jan1962

No problems,
just keep asking questions.
Plenty of people here will give you great advice.
Remember keep your guard up .
Question everything.
MICK

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086