Junk Mail and Annoying Phone calls

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Hello everyone,

Came across this website today which tells you how to stop junk mail coming through your door and marketting people from calling you. I did the junk mail bit for myself to see how easy it was and it is very easy!! (Unless they just carry on in which case you have to complain which I suppose might be more complicated).

In view of how vulnerable some people with dementia are I though this might be helpful to carers trying to limit the chances of their loved one buying unneccessary goods or even being conned out of a fortune, which has happened to some people.

Just follow the link!

http://www.chestercc.gov.uk/main.asp?page=473

Sally

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sally,

Thanks so much for this. It took a couple of minutes to register our numbers at the http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ site. Very easy to use.

The junk mail site is down but I will register tomorrow, if anything we may save a few trees.

Thanks again
Craig

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Absolutely brilliant Sally - it took no time at all to register with the unwanted mail service. Off to do it for my mum's address now. I have already done this will the phone calls - some still get through but it is really goos.

Cheers
Iz

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Sally,

Thank you very much indeed for such valuable information. We are deluged with unwanted marketing phone calls, usually at meal times and of course dementia sufferers are extremely vunerable to being coerced into making unwanted purchases.

Jude

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
We registered ourselves and Aunty at the beginning of the year. The phone calls seem to have stopped and the mail has reduced dramatically - only the odd persistant offender and I intend to follow them up when I have the time and energy!

The ones who keep sending appear to be some "foreign" looking charities and charities to whom Aunty has made donations previously.

Aunts home became filled with "begging letters" and junk mail and she very obviously had been pressured by them into setting up standing orders. I think it is dreadful that the vulnerable should be be at risk from this type of mail.

Kriss

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

Apart from the total invasion of one's privacy, it is also very dangerous for AD sufferers because they can be such a easy target for telemarking and other sales people. One hears so many horror stories of elderly people being fleeced of considerable amounts of money in this way.

I was so pleased to see Sally's post and to be able to curtail the invasion thus far.

Many thanks,

Jude