Jumbled speech

shalby

Jan 9, 2017
For the past few months my husband’s speech has deteriorated. If I ask him something he can sometimes reply fine but if he wants to ask me something it just comes out jumbled and incoherent. Because I can’t understand what he is saying he gets annoyed and then I get annoyed too. Does anyone have the same problem and have any tips. This is so hard for us both . Thank you

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @shalby . I occasionally had this problem with my aunt so I understand how frustrating it is for both of you. I’m afraid I never really found a way to communicate when she was speaking gobbledegook but I used to walk away and come back with a cup of tea (and sympathy) which sometimes worked but not always.

Sometimes I could guess by her body language (e.g if she needed the loo) what she was trying to say. With my aunt she recovered her speech within a few weeks as the problem had been caused by a TIA. Could you use some kind of sign language? Or is that just wishful thinking..

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Hi @shalby My hubby has vascular dementia and he has the same problem,he can not string a sentence together . If he starts a sentence and I have to finish it off for him if Im not sure I work out what he was talking about before or ask him to point to what he is talking about. It is very frustrating like you say for both of you Hope you both sort something out.

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
My husband has Progressive Non Fluent Asphasia & is unable to speak. I suggest you ask your GP for a referral to the Speech & Language Therapy (SALT) team. Is you OH still able to use an phone/iPad? There are a number of Apps that will allow him to type what he wants to say & the machine speaks the words. Text to Speech is a basic free App but there are lots of others which might suit him better. The SALT team should be able to advise you. If that's not a possibility then maybe some tailored flash cards would help. The sooner you can get your hubby some help the better as he is likely to adapt more easily to using it. Sadly we left it too late.

shalby

Jan 9, 2017
My husband has Progressive Non Fluent Asphasia & is unable to speak. I suggest you ask your GP for a referral to the Speech & Language Therapy (SALT) team. Is you OH still able to use an phone/iPad? There are a number of Apps that will allow him to type what he wants to say & the machine speaks the words. Text to Speech is a basic free App but there are lots of others which might suit him better. The SALT team should be able to advise you. If that's not a possibility then maybe some tailored flash cards would help. The sooner you can get your hubby some help the better as he is likely to adapt more easily to using it. Sadly we left it too late.
Thank you for your reply? I have already gone through my GP regarding a referral to SALT but unfortunately in my area there is no service level agreement for speech therapy for Alzheimer patients. I will look at an app though although he can't understand to use an iPad it's worth a try I suppose. Thank you again

shalby

Jan 9, 2017
Hi @shalby My hubby has vascular dementia and he has the same problem,he can not string a sentence together . If he starts a sentence and I have to finish it off for him if Im not sure I work out what he was talking about before or ask him to point to what he is talking about. It is very frustrating like you say for both of you Hope you both sort something out.
It's hard isn't it we all have a difficult time